Tuesday, December 23, 2014

26.2 with DONNA Training Week 4

After the past few weeks of runs that were faster and harder than needed, I tried to focus on slowing down and cutting back the mileage a bit this week. My legs have felt fatigued and tight so I decided to slow it down before any problems cropped up.

Monday: Quick cross training workout at home before heading over to Elizabeth's for her Running Bloggers holiday party! I missed it last year, so I was determined to make it this year. It was so nice to catch up with some of my Ragnar Trails Atlanta teammates, see some friendly faces that had helped out at the DONNA water stop on Sunday, and meet some new friends in real life for the first time.
Planned: XT  Actual: XT

Tuesday: New shoes day! About a week or two ago, my blue Ride 6s started to feel flat and dead. They only have about 300 miles on them, but they feel as dead as the purple mile eaters which have over 450 on them (I still periodically run in them). I decided to order new shoes because I would need them soon anyway and I got a good deal on them. I typically don't like to run more than about 3 miles on new shoes just to see how the feel and if they need breaking in but I didn't want to lug 2 pairs of shoes to the treadmill with me, so I compromised and ran 4. Loving my new shoes, my 3rd pair of Ride 6s. I definitely noticed a difference (cushion!) and they didn't feel as stiff as the blue ones did when I broke them in.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 4 miles (8:55/mile pace)
Wednesday: Aiming for a slight cutback week I decided to keep this one to 8 miles. On top of that I didn't get to start it until after 6pm and I've noticed I don't sleep well if I don't have enough time to rehydrate before going to bed.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 8 miles (8:53/mile pace)
Loving my new mug that I got at the blogger party gift swap.
Thursday: I had an odd feeling in my shin for a split second during the first couple miles. I thought I just stepped wrong, but later in the run it happened two more times. It freaked me out a bit and I think it's potentially shin splints from my eternally tight calves. I decided to take a week off from running to let my legs rest, the tightness dissolve, and hopefully be no worse for the wear. I'm treating it as shin splints with hope that it's not anything worse like a stress fracture. I hope I am just overreacting, but this might be a bigger challenge than any of my planned December challenges. First test run will be on Christmas day.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:55/mile)

Friday: First day of rest was actually a planned rest day so it didn't feel to weird.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Saturday: Thank you Mother Nature for respecting my need for rest and producing a weekend full of clouds, rain, and 40 degree weather. It really helped minimize my desire to run.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: Rest
Captain of the Naughty list is anxiously awaiting Santa Paws arrival.
Sunday: My third rest day in a row. The Jayhawk is probably excited he is out of town for this. I'm a little bummed to be resting because I had a lot of fun runs planned, but here's to hoping for a Christmas miracle and being back on the streets next week.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: Rest

Gift Giving
I didn't write a gift guide because there seemed to only be 4 million of them in the blogosphere, but for anyone still searching for the perfect Festivus present for me, this would be perfect: 6 day, 100 mile running adventure with Scott Jurek or Jenn Shelton. I can't think of a better gift.

Clip of the week:
Great little (and motivating) clip this week from Competitor: A Marathon finish line in slow motion! If you've never stood at the finish line of a big race and watched the joy, elation, hard work, tears, pain, frustration, and just about every other emotion you can imagine on runner's faces, I highly recommend it.

Thank You!
Huge Thank you to everyone who donated last week to 26.2 with DONNA! Now I've got 116.20 miles to run! I racked off 17 of them this week and hopefully will start trimming down that number next week!

Happiest of Holidays to everyone! I hope you have a great holiday season and enjoy whatever holidays you celebrate.

Are you traveling for the holidays? Do you ever force yourself to rest?

8 comments:

  1. Wooo new shoes! I got new trail runners for Christmas but I haven't been able to try them yet, too rainy here (in NY).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the rain has cleared and you are getting out for some miles!

      Delete
  2. I like the cushion of the Rides so much that I wore them for the 50K trail race. I recognized a spectator in the finish line video - Carrie Tollefson. I did her dumbbell WO today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rides are just a nice consistent shoe. Always good to have one like it in the shoe stash!

      Delete
  3. It was a rainy mess here until today. I got a nasty stomach bug and haven't run since Sunday. I kept thinking my left calf is what was hurting all this time on and off but since I had so much rest, my muscles feel fine, the pain is actually in the bone under my calf. I think because my muscles weren't ever fully recovering I was missing where the real issue was...I guess I will try to call the doc and see when I can get in. Sometimes extended rest is good I guess, even if it stinks lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest is hard but it is very good. I'm struggling with that right now too. Sorry you had a stomach bug at Christmas. I was knocked down with a vicious head cold. Hope you had a healthy New Year's!

      Delete
  4. OMG I hope your shin gets better soon, please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's improving. I plan on testing it out this weekend. Thanks for the concern! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...