Thursday, December 4, 2014

Back to Marathon Training

After taking a two lazy weeks after Chickamauga, I'm back at it. Actually, my plan started on 24th, but I never got around to posting my training recap and with the holiday I lost track of time. Look forward to a supersized recap next week.

So, what's the plan.  Here's the cliffs notes version:

Race: 26.2 with Donna, but you already knew that because I don't stop talking about it.
Goals: To do better than I did last year at this race. I never 'hit my stride' at this race last year and I always thought of it as a missed opportunity. This year, I get another shot at this course and I plan on taking a good one.
Yep, it's still funny.
Plan: Very similar to the plan I used for Chickamauga with a focus on spreading the miles across the week and back to backs (or varying lengths on the weekends). If it ain't broke.....
Updates: Substituting one rest day with a cross training day and making a significant effort to add in strength training.  And I mean more than just my usual, "I did 2 sets of this and 2 sets of that so I can go home and eat dinner now". The struggle I face because I workout after work.

Wildcard: January into Mid-February is my busiest time of year at work. That makes peak marathon training extra challenging, but I did it last year, so I can do it again this year.

Flare: I will also be running the 5k the day before the race again this year. It's on Valentine's Day, so you can bet that a silly costume will be involved. Oh the possibilities...

What are you currently training for? Do you have plans that you use over and over again or do you like to try new ones?

11 comments:

  1. This looks like a really solid training plan! I haven't decided on my plan yet for the 50 miler I'll start training for in January, but I really need to focus on getting in some cross training too...I didn't really do any at all during this 50k training cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to see your 50 miler plan. I've been looking for one to run, so I'll be following your training to see how it goes!

      Delete
  2. It's good to stick with what works :) I love a valentine's 5 k, you are right, lots of fun opportunities! I bet you will have a great race this year. Did you feel very different recovering after Chickamauga since you were so speedy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected to feel worse after Chickamauga then I did. I actually was a lot more sore after the 50k, but that might have been partially due to the heat. I started running again 4 or 5 days post race and kept it intermittent for the first 2 weeks. Back to regular schedule now.

      Delete
  3. Ah redemption runs, don't they just fill you with confidence to go out abd have a better performance. I love it!!

    We have races in the next couple months but overall we are training for our first marathon in February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on training for your first marathon! What race have you picked out?

      Delete
  4. I admire your motivation! It took me at least a month to want to run again after my marathon. I just got the okay from my PT to start running again so I'm going to slowly start to get my mileage back up and then start training for new half PR in March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! I was not so ambitious after my first marathon, but over time my body has gotten better at recovering from the distance. Good luck in March! What race have you picked out?

      Delete
  5. I think sticking to a similar plan is smart, heavens knows it was a success before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Abby. Hoping for another good training cycle this time around.

      Delete
  6. bayshore marathon! i'm changing it up again, but mainly because i have a new coach. I do think what i was doing was too much for NYC, hoping this is the right balance

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...