Friday, December 5, 2014

Friday Five: December Challenges

With the Jayhawk away for a long time, I'm using December as a way to challenge myself in new ways. I'll keep you updated on my progress throughout the month. Feel free to join me!

1. Balance Training. A good way to sneak in both strength training and some flexibility work. I plan on combining yoga moves, general stability moves, and core work. This should be good for my over all running, trail running, and general clumsiness.
This will be an important part of the challenge.
2. Stick to the plan. This fall I was pretty streaky in terms of sticking to my training plan. There would good weeks when I hit every workout and weeks that were not so good. For December I'm going to try to stick exactly to my plan with the only excuse being injury or sickness. This will give me the best base heading into to peak training and the craziness that is January.
Checking 'em off one at a time.
3. Handstand a day. As a fun way to work on my strength and balance, I've started doing a handstand each day and holding it for as long as I can. I got the idea after seeing the daughters of some friends be able to both hold them for a minute and be able to pull off a press up to handstand (they are gymnasts). I don't think I'm ready for the press handstand, but working on my handstand is great for the core, upper body, and balance. Plus it's just fun. I'll work on getting a picture.
My upper body is already super strong, but handstands are just fun.
4. Field Trips. With a slightly more flexible weekend schedule, I've decided to take my long runs on the road with a goal of 3 long runs not on my usual turf (i.e. not running from home). It will give me a chance to mix it up and hopefully explore some new routes.
Good chance this will be one of the field trips.
5. New. I'm going to do 3 new things that are running/fitness related. Whether it be try a fitness class, run with a new buddy, or something I haven't even thought of yet, I'm going to challenge myself to get out of my typical day to day.

Do you like month long challenges? What was the last new thing you challenged yourself to try?

19 comments:

  1. Nice challenges! (I'm not quite organized enough to think of any for myself, and I'd need to work them into my training plan.....) You'll like Sage's yoga! She's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M! I really like the book!

      Delete
  2. I'm terrible at those fitness challenges, I always fall off the wagon.

    I'm all about #5, that is a great way to spice up your runs especially your long runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I'm normall terrible about challenges too, so the whole attempt is really a challenge!

      Delete
  3. These seem like great challenges - and totally accomplishable! I especially like your idea to try out some new routes. One of the things I'm looking forward to with moving is exploring new trails, I have never been trail running in New England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many good options in NE. There are a couple of good trail runs I've been eyeing up there for a while. Check out the Pineland Distance Festival in Maine in May. It looks awesome and who doesn't like free Shipyard at the finish?!

      Delete
  4. These are great! If you don't mind slowing down for a run, it would be fun to get together for a run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to join you for a run Miranda! I was actually going to drop you a note to see if you would be at Yeti Spaghetti? I'm planning on going, but don't know anyone but you!

      Delete
  5. I love month long challenges, but try to do keep it to just one a month so I can stick to it. This month though I'm doing squats and planks...thinking the squat one is not going to last, it's killing my knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed that you do monthly challenges. I tend not to be good at them, so just attempting them is challenging enough for me. Good luck! Squats and planks can be killer!

      Delete
  6. I am terrible with challenges. I did a runstreak challenge a few years ago and it made me not want to run. LOL.
    A hand stand a day sounds doable though! I am curious how much you will improve at it. Looking forward to the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a runstreak fan either. I did one a few years ago and the same thing happend. Running started to seem like a chore. My attempts at handstand pictures have not worked out so far. Will have to come up with a new strategy to get one!

      Delete
  7. I love month long challenges because it really gets me motivated and gets me working out at least a little bit everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice way to mix it up or try something new. Fingers crossed I complete some of them!

      Delete
  8. I haven't tried to do a handstand in years! I may have to give this is a shot. i am not good about trying to change things, i start but don't stick to it enough, still trying to make core a weekly thing. Finding some new run routes sound good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Karen! Hand stands are so silly and fun. Took me a couple of tries to get the hang of it and I still do it towards a wall (mainly so I don't damage the furniture if I fall over).

      Delete
  9. I love number 4. I don't do a lot of (any?) month long challenges but I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for field trip days. Hoping to get the first one this weekend.

      Delete
  10. ooh, all great ideas.I need to be better about changing it up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...