Monday, January 12, 2015

26.2 with DONNA Training Week 7

Hope every one's new year is off to a good start. After a semi-planned week off due to shin pain followed by bonus days off due to plague severe head cold, I started back last week with lots of cross and strength training. Never fun to be tied to the gym during the New Year's resolution rush.  I continued on with the crosstraining this week and even went for my first test run in 3 weeks (to the day because I am a huge numbers geek).

Monday: Nothing really to report. I had a case of the Mondays.
Planned: XT  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: I got stuck on one of the stationary bikes that didn't have a TV (why does crosstraining make me more whiney?), so I turned to my running speedwork playlist. Works well on the bike too!
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 30 minutes cycling (19mile/hour ave)

Wednesday: After lots of awkward, I've finally figured out the best elliptical setting to mimic running, I think. I've got it so I'm doing the equivalent of 10 minute miles. It helps to have a relative idea of what kind of workout I am doing as I flail around on the thing.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 32 minutes elliptical

Thursday: The big day! I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous to test out my shins. Going for a test run meant answering the question of if the time off was worth it. If I was still in pain, I knew the road back would be even longer and more complicated. The run was pain free and I carefully kept track of how my legs felt for the 48 hours following. It was a huge mental boost.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 1.5 miles running (9:35/mile pace); 20 minutes elliptical
I don't think I've ever been so excited about a 1.5 mile run.
Friday: No major pains to report, but I am taking it slow and steady.
Planned: Rest  Actual: 30 min elliptical, leg strength training

Saturday: Time for a rest day. I'm being conservative for the next few weeks to not undo all the hard work and benefits of my time off from running. 
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: Rest
Sunday: Everything felt fine in the 48 hours following Thursday's run, so I was back on the treadmill to start easing back into it. I kept the pace very easy and will continue to keep the mileage and pace light for another week as not only my shins but the rest of my soft tissue gets use to running again. The run felt comfortable and I was very excited to see that my cardio didn't suffer too much over the time off!
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 3 miles (9:32/mile pace); lots of stretching and rolling
I haven't forgotten about my Miles for Dollars promise. Now that I am slowly back running, I will begin addressing them! Thanks everyone for the support and patience!

How is 2015 going for you? Are the New Year's crowd descending on your gym?

16 comments:

  1. Seems like you had a great week post rest and recovery! I'm glad you were able to run pain-free. That anxiety of wondering if time off is going to prove worth it is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The anxiety is really the hardest part. Slow and steady is the key now!

      Delete
  2. Criss training it's always a good thing. So glad your run on Thursday went well. I'm right there with you about monitoring the next couple days after, hugely important. Glad to see you were ready conservative on Saturday as well. Eating back into things is the best thing right now.keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. I know you are going through a similar thing right now. It's all about patience!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had an awesome week back. I seriously need to follow your footsteps on recovery. I always come back to fast and undo the week off I just took. Been battling a groin/hip injury now for a few weeks and it might be messing up my 2014 Spring racing schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying so hard to be patient this time! It isn't easy, but I keep trying to think of the benefit of properly treating it now. Sorry to hear about your hip. Hopefully some strength and cross training can get you back on track for racing!

      Delete
  4. I'm getting over a cold now and did my first run today after a few days off. Keep taking it easy - it's hard to be patient, but smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to be patient! It's all about keeping the big picture in mind. A few weeks off now is better than a few months off later! Hope you are feeling better Tina!

      Delete
  5. I chose a bike with a broken TV connector my first time too! Now I know bike two is the way to go - since it is in front of the TV tuned to ESPN. My gym had a fee-free joining day last week, so I think this week will actually be the most crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heavens, a free joining day. That sounds like chaos.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to run pain free again. Sounds like you were really smart about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! I hope I took enough time. It's always hard to judge!

      Delete
  7. I am sorry your shins were hurting. I know that pain, I need to deal with resting my leg this week. You did great doing other things, i need to catch some of the good attitude and do that as well. The one question I forgot to ask the doc today was if I could cycle. Glad to hear you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I know you've been going through something similar recently. Hopefully some rest will put you back in action!

      Delete
  8. So glad you are slowly able to start adding the miles back and that your shins are not bothering you during these runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! Always better to be cautious than on the sidelines for months!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...