Monday, January 19, 2015

26.2 with DONNA Training Week 8

While I work on easing back into running, I've thrown my training plan out the window. I'm sure this shocks no one after missing 3 weeks of it. I'll be playing it day to day as a ramp back up and set a new schedule when I feel ready to use one.

Monday: Felt fine after Sunday's run but decided to play it safe and cross train for a few days before trying it again.
Actual: 35 minutes cycling (20.23 miles/hour)

Tuesday: This week marks a month until the 26.2 with DONNA festivities kick off!  I am so excited! While I won't be racing obviously, I will still be running and enjoying all the events. Time has really flown by!
Actual: 30 minutes Elliptical, Strength training (squats, lunges, lower leg exercises)
 Pretty excited to earn a few of these medals! Less than a month to go!
Wednesday: This one felt good. It's that dangerous moment during recovery when workouts start to feel good, but you know you still have to take it slow. Honestly, it's the hardest part! I told myself at the beginning of the week I was only allowed slow 3 mile runs this week and I'm sticking to it.
Actual: 3 miles running (9:32/mile pace)
Well, there goes my motivation for speed training.
Thursday: All the ellipticals were full. Thanks New Year's people.  I'm all rah-rah about you working out and trying new things until it affects me.  I hopped on the bike instead.
Actual: 35 minutes cycling (17.73 miles/hour)

Friday: Today marked a fun moment in my running career. It was the 10th anniversary of my very first half marathon (Houston January 16th, 2005), which was my first big race. I wish I had a photo, but it was in pre-smart phone days. I do still have my bib and t-shirt. To give you a glimpse of how much running has changed since then (and how much I have changed for that matter), I didn't even know what a gel was at that point, I had never run longer than 9 miles (which I did the week before the race in 70 degree heat with no fluids), I wore soccer shorts, a new shirt, and a fleece during the race (which I didn't drop until mile 7 when I gave it to a friend), and when a guy asked me during the first mile if my goal was to break 2 hours, I said sure because I didn't even know what that worked out to for a pace.
Actual: Legs were tired so I decided to rest.
If you like the cotton t-shirt you should have seen the 80's style finishers sweatshirt.
Saturday: Today we celebrated Christmas so I was busy drinking cocoa, opening presents, and spending time with the family. Didn't get in a run, but fun was had by all.
Why yes, I did decorate a cookie like a running shoe. And then the Jayhawk ate it.
Sunday: Back on the treadmill. This run felt good enough that I decided it was time to try out running on consecutive days.  A little bummed to be running inside on a beautiful day (50s and sunny), but I'll take running pain free over anything else!
Actual: 3.1 miles running (9:32/mile pace)
I've never been so excited to run on the treadmill.
Now that I am starting to log some semi-regular mileage, I will start addressing my Miles for Dollars donations next week! I didn't want anyone stuck sponsoring gimpy mileage. :)

How was your week? Anything exciting to report?

13 comments:

  1. You have some mad cookie decorating skills! I think if I tried to make a running shoe, it would just look like a blob. I feel the same way about the New Years people. I'm glad they're there...but it's hard not to get annoyed when they come take over everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. The hardest part is actually being patient enough to actually decorate them rather than just squirt some frosting on them and gobble.

      Delete
  2. the Run Donna is such a cute medal :) It's great you have your first half shirt and bib! A picture would be nice, but those are great momentos. I feeel guilty about my long run over the weekend, I just couldn't take it. I did rest until Saturday, and I will rest till after my test now. I am glad you are feeling better. You are fast on the cycle, my average speed is much lower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The medal is really cool this year. It still has the suncatcher effect, but they changed to heart shape for valentine's weekend. Too fun. Fingers crossed for good news with your tests.

      Delete
  3. Running cookies - perfect idea! I've had to run less than planned because of illness. Hopefully, we'll both get back on track quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina. Who doesn't like cookies? Hope you are feeling better!

      Delete
  4. Aw man, I feel like Jurassic Park totally lied to me when that T. rex chased the getaway car. ;) Glad you're getting back into the groove of your usual mileage. Hope everything is back to your normal schedule soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good point Beth! Thanks. Slow is the key! :)

      Delete
  5. It's hard to go slow and scrap a training plan, but running for a lifetime and not just one race is way more important! Good job taking it slow and easy when needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! Trying to keep the bigger picture in mind!

      Delete
  6. i seriously love that you still did all christmas activities, too. :) you just made me realize that my 6 years is coming up on my runiversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! We did a full Christmas (Christmas music, cocoa, tree and cookie decorating, stockings, etc). It was really fun to do it in our own time. Anything planned for your runiversary?

      Delete
  7. i seriously love that you still did all christmas activities, too. :) you just made me realize that my 6 years is coming up on my runiversary!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...