Tuesday, January 27, 2015

26.2 with DONNA Training week 9

My goals for this week were to run my first back to back days of the new year and break the 30 minute mark.  Happy to report I accomplished both goals and am starting to feel like my old self (always nervous to say that during injury recovery). With February on the horizon (that was a quick January!), I am focusing on endurance.

Now that I am running more regularly, time to start racking off my Miles for Dollars donations! As promised, I am running 1 mile for each dollar donated that week. Up first is Frank from Run 50 Plus. Huge Thank You to Frank for his awesome support! Though Frank and I work around the corner from each other, we've only had the chance to meet once during his first half marathon, Galloway 13.1. Frank ran an amazing 22 races in 2014(!) and recently PR'd the 10k! I've managed 12.2 of your miles this week and will complete the other 14 next week!

Monday: First back to back running days of the new year. Happy to report that my legs felt fine and I wanted to run longer. Patience is a virtue (and it's not my favorite one).
Actual: 3.1 miles running (9:32/mile pace)
My other favorite pint. 
Tuesday: Back on the bike to shake out my legs. I can feel them getting stronger as some of my cross training activities are not as challenging as when I started.
Actual: 30 minutes cycling (18.4 miles/hour)

Wednesday: Another good run and my first run over 30 minutes for the year! It made me smile.
Actual: 3.6 miles running (9:33/mile pace); Strength training (squats, lunges, arms)

Thursday: Legs felt a bit tired today so it was cross training for me and lots of stretching.
Actual: 30 minutes Elliptical

Friday: I was ready for a rest day.
Actual: Rest

Saturday: I rested again. I need to make a concerted effort to spread out my rest days as I am building back up. I felt the need for another rest day.
Actual: More rest.

Sunday: Longest run of the year! I felt fine throughout the run and afterwards. Happy to be getting back in the swing of it!
Actual: 5.5 miles running (9:33/mile)

Fun links of the week:
100: Head/Heart/Feet: This movie looks awesome and friend who has seen it said it was great. Keep an eye out for it in your area!
Some Tips for Urban Trail running from Trail Runner Mag

How was your week? Any races to report?

16 comments:

  1. I'm in a similar place right now (as you know!) I'm glad to hear you are feeling like your old self again, but I totally get what you mean about being hesitant to say that coming off an injury, I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gets so mental at a certain point. When to push, when to run more, etc. Hope your recovery keeps going strong!

      Delete
  2. Where did you find the new Ben & Jerry's flavor?! I have been dying to try them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jayhawk got the very last pint at Target (after I educated him that we were looking for the cookie core not the caramel core, though it is also fabulous). This was the only one they had left, so no choice on the flavor, but it was delicious! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout-out! Take your time with the recovery, I know that you're good for the remaining miles!

    Every once in awhile, I run a 3-mile loop starting at Eagle Row and Peavine Creek Dr., past the athletic fields to Old Briarcliff Road, then up the hill on Clifton Road past the CDC, and then back to campus, over the railroad bridge, and back onto Eagle Row. The Lullwater property (Emory president's house) is also a nice place to run, and protected from traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miles are a coming. :) You run right by my office! I enjoy running in Lullwater Park as well and I sometimes run down Clifton and cut through Emory on Eagle Row to go through the village and down Lullwater and Oakdale. Beautiful and hilly neighborhoods to run through.

      Delete
  4. no races so far...may do a 15K on valentines day?? that ice cream sounds amazing. i'm basically dying to have all things i can't right now. glad you are back at it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to tempt you, but it was really good. Your diet sounds so challenging. I would be the biggest grump. Hoping to join you all for one of the weekend runs now that I am back to running regularly!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you are running happy :) January did go really fast! I am still going to Disney, but running it...ummm, maybe not.
    Rest days are nice :) I am trying to not overdo my lifting and hurt something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It just zoomed by! There is still a lot of fun to have at Disney!

      Delete
  6. I keep waiting for my injury to suddenly flare back up...it is definitely hard to "know" when you're fully healed. That's great your long run went so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I am so nervous to up things to quickly or declare myself feeling healed. Slow and steady. Slow and steady. :)

      Delete
  7. Thank heavens I have never seen that ice cream flavor any where near here. It would be gone in a single serving. I may have just googled Ben & Jerry's to see what other flavors they have that I don't know about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warning: It's good, but really I am never disappointed by them. The salted caramel core is also excellent. Those men are just genius.

      Delete
  8. You had me at the picture of Ben and Jerry's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the smartest men I know. They always make me happy. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...