Friday, January 23, 2015

Friday Five: Slow

As I ease back into running, I've been making a serious effort to keep my runs slower and to slowly build up my mileage. This isn't something that comes naturally to me as I usually run on feel, so I've come up with a few things to help me learn to slow down.

1. A new playlist. I don't know about you, but the beat of my music has a solid influence on the turnover of my feet. I've even made a specific speed playlist for days I want to push it a bit. Well, now I'm also the proud owner of a slow playlist. Filled with ballads and slow jams, my slow playlist helps me zone out and relax. Favorites: Slow Cheetah by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Slow Dancing Swaying to the Music by Johnny Rivers

What? This doesn't make you want to run?

2. Run with a Buddy. This is not to say my buddies are slow, but when you are trying to chat or gossip about work, you can't help but slow the pace up a bit.  It's also nice to company when running.

3. Use the treadmill. The treadmill allows me to set a speed and forget about pacing. Sure, it's not the most exciting of runs, but the control factor is super handy when you are trying to regulate your pace.
4. Slow beer. They say you only get out what you put in right? Well, with that in mind I've been trying out New Belgium's new beer Slow Ride in hopes that a slow beer in will help with slow miles.  Worth a shot.
I really like it. No, I don't say that about all beers.
5. Put on your big girl pants and just do it. To be honest, I just keep reminding myself that it's the smart thing to do and I'm not giving myself another option.  My goal from now until 26.2 with DONNA is to work purely on endurance and strength, without pushing pace at all. The race won't be a goal time race at all, so just getting to the start line healthy enough to run is enough for me. There is plenty on the course to enjoy and that is what I keep reminding myself.

What tips or tricks do you have to keep your pace light?

10 comments:

  1. I find it's easier for me to maintain a slow, steady pace when I listen to something other than music entirely on my runs - it's why I tend toward podcasts for long runs and slower/easier efforts, particularly This American Life (I guess Ira Glass is like a metronome for me...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Podcast! Great idea. I've never run to one, but I'll have to give it a try. Thanks Brenda!

      Delete
  2. I think I'm one of the few people that prefers to run slower naturally! That being said, since I've backed off the pace after my own injury, I'm also finding it pretty hard to slow down as much as I want. I listen to podcasts too when I run, and that helps me settle into a steady cadence. I also set my pace on my Garmin, so it will constantly nag me if I go too fast (or too slow).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good ideas. I usually run on feel, so focusing specifically on pace is new to me. I'm getting the hang of it. :)

      Delete
  3. i like your slow playlist idea ;) although i am not too speedy even on a good day lol
    Just go look at my picture with the boot and it will motivate you take it easy. in my defense, since i wasn't hurting i really though i was okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speed is all relative in my opinion. What is 'fast' for me isn't for a lot of people. So sorry about your boot, Karen! Hope you heal quickly!

      Delete
  4. I'm a big fan of using the right music to help you keep the right pace. I try to find songs to listen to during the first part of a race that have the right beat for the cadence I need to get settled in to the right pace to begin with. Lately, I've also been using my fuzzy running buddy, my dog Chloe, to keep my pace more relaxed. We both get exercise and I get some company and a pacer--win/win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, furry friends. Great idea. The Monster could use some exercise. :)

      Delete
  5. I have heard podcasts are great for slow since there is no beat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...