Monday, January 5, 2015

Goals for 2015

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a safe and fabulous New Year's. The Jayhawk arrived home on New Year's Eve and then was asleep before 9 (ah, jetlag) so no crazy celebrations for us, being in the same time zone was good enough. A lack of silly hats and celebration doesn't mean I'm not excited about what's ahead in 2015. As I am slowly piecing together a racing wishlist and plan for the year, I took the time to develop a few new goals and challenges for the New Year. I like to have concrete goals each year (goals like "Do this more" or "Improve at that" never works for me) and while I don't hinge the success of a year on them, goals are a way to move outside my comfort zone and ensure that I'm always experiencing something new.
1. PR the 50k. I had so much fun training and running Snakebite 50k last year that I'm doing another one this year. I've got several options picked out and will settle on one once I finish my winter training. Last year I focused on finishing a 50k and this year I want to run a stronger race. There is plenty of room to improve on my time and with some smart training, a PR is a great goal.

2. PR the 5k. Ug, I know. I hate the 5k. But I also know I'll never bother to race one unless I make it a goal. Without the lure of donuts, donations, or beer, I avoid 5ks like the plague and that is exactly why I am putting it on my goals list. This goal is outside of my comfort zone and even makes me make grumpy faces. Hopefully with a little more effort and focus, I can grow to embrace the utility of the 5k. Note: this doesn't mean I have to start to like them.

3. One adventure a month. Though I didn't get to complete all my field trips and new items during my December challenges, I really liked the idea and had fun planning them. I decided to finish/modify the challenge for 2015 by having the goal of one running field trip or adventure each month. It can be a new location, new running buddy, or just a totally different way of approaching a run. My hope is that it will push me to mix it up and explore things outside my usual routine.

4. Have fun and smile. Always important to remember that I run because it's fun and enjoy it so much. Everything else is just a bonus.

 Here's to training hard, smart, and with a smile.

Do you make running goals? What do you hope to accomplish in the new year?

26 comments:

  1. Currently I am sidelined by this hip injury, so my biggest goal is to get healthy and complete a 50 mile race. Your goals look great - excited to see you PR in the 50k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry about the hip Brenda. Hopefully it's a quick heal and you can get back to 50 miler training! Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. I usually wonder why I don't run 5Ks when I'm in the middle of a marathon, until I do one and remember how terrible they are! I like your adventure idea...I'm a terrible homebody, even though I do want to get out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are terrible! Glad I am not the only one who thinks so. I thought the adventures were a good challenge to really get me out of the old routine!

      Delete
  3. good goals! i need to write mine out for the year. love the adventure idea-may do it in a "see atl" type of thing (not necessarily running). It would force me to do more locally. I've set my running ones- mainly to re-BQ at bayshore and run 10 new states. hopefully some speed will come with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Lisa did a fun version back in September (I think) where she did a new thing everyday (not necessarily running related). I liked her idea, but knew the daily thing wasn't going to work for me. I'm excited for your goals! They are big but you will kick some butt. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the running adventure goal. I am trying to run at least one new route a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. Always good to mix it up!

      Delete
  5. I like that your goals are specific and defined. It makes it easy to determine your progress and when you accomplish the goal. I make goals but they are usually more short term, I think I need to do more long term planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to have them specific. Vague goals allows me to slack off too much.

      Delete
  6. 50k 8is definitely a goal for me one day. I don't know if I will be able to do it this yr. Goodluck Pr in it. That's so awesome you have completed one. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ultras have a different mind set and are really fun in their own way. Hope you have a great 2015!

      Delete
  7. 50 Km! That's quite the distance, I'm working towards 10 Km!! I wish you all the best in accomplishing your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucie! Best of luck with the 10k! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, don't 5ks hurt like heck? And a 10K - just as bad and twice as long! I like your adventure per month goal. I may steal that one. New races and new faces! Here's to a successful 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who isn't in love with short distance. Steal away! Best of luck to you in 2015!

      Delete
  9. Cannot wait to hear about your monthly adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! Hopefully I come up with fun things!

      Delete
  10. Adventures are one of my goals for 2015 too. Thanks for linking up with us today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting. Next time I will get in right with the linkbacks etc. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  11. Love that you want to PR a 50K and a 5K. I hate 5Ks. I have a hard time running them faster than my half marathon pace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't run them fast either! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! Hopefully that means a little speed training will make a PR possible.

      Delete
  12. I normally make running goals but I didn't for some reason this year. I think I'm going to take it easy! I love how both PR a 50k and a 5k are on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of funny that it worked out that those were the two distances I want to work on. Taking it easy is good sometimes. You had a big year last year with your first full!

      Delete
  13. I bet you can meet all those goals :) Smile and have fun for sure! I wasn't really up for a lot of goal setting, work is busy I can hardly keep up, so it doesn't leave much time to think lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Staying healthy will be an important element of hitting all of them. I completely understand! Work is keeping me out of trouble. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...