Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday Five: RunDONNA Edition

1. One big ole Thank you. Thank all of you! Thank you for the kind words, the support during my shin issues, your donations, everything. Not only did I shatter my fundraising goal of $1500, I had a healthy, happy weekend of running.
2. Two Olympians. I had the chance to chat with two Olympians during the weekend and learned a lot about both of their approaches to running, training, and life. It's fascinating to learn what inspires and motivates people who have accomplished so much. Of course I will be sharing more about what I learned.
Some of my favorite ladies to run with.
3. Three Runs. I participated in 3 separate runs over the weekend (3 mile shake out run on Friday, 5k on Saturday, and Marathon Sunday) and am eager to recap all of them. Be on the lookout for a posting bonanza next week.
I love long, slow runs on the beach. And donuts. 
4. Four New Things. Once again, I tried new things on marathon race day. 4 new things infact and some of them are pretty big (running style, running plan, running buddy, and a new fuel). Though it may sound crazy, I decided to experiment since this wasn't a goal race and I was undertrained due to my shin trouble around New Year's. I learned a bit more about what I like, how different things can be helpful, and how much I've grown in the marathon.

5. 5 Million (roughly) sources of inspiration. One of the many things I love about 26.2 with DONNA is that no matter where you turn, you find countless sources of inspiration. Runners, Survivors, fans, volunteers, families. All inspiring. It's hard to come away from the race with anything less than a smile, full heart, and renewed sense of hope.
There are several large banner that you can sign at the expo. These banners are placed along the beach miles of the race for a little added inspiration.

How was your week? Do you like trying new things on race day?

12 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds like such an awesome experience! I can't wait to read your recaps. Congrats on shattering your fundraising goal, too - I remember when I shattered my AIDS Walk goal of $1000 by raising $1500+ a couple of years ago, and it felt amazing - not only that I could contribute so much to the cause, but that my friends and family felt so strongly about supporting me and donating to the cause, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so humbling when people support you so strongly! I am beyond thankful for them. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your group picture and the beach!! Looks like you weren't in the teens :) a nice break from the cold. Congrats on making your goal and having a great time it sounds like. How awesome you ran that much!! I can not wait to hear the recaps. I am off to Florida and will catch up when i get home later in the week. I am very curiuos to hear about a different running style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the 30s at the shakeout run, but perfect weather for the other two races. Hope you had a great time in Florida!

      Delete
  3. So glad things went well for you and I can't wait to read your recaps! Way to raise a ton of money--I'm sure they'll put that all to good use. Hope you're resting those legs! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. The money goes directly to research which I love as a research scientist! Legs are rested and ready to go again!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your fundraising, and what looks like two great race experiences in Jacksonville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank! And thank you for the support!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on meeting your fundraising goal! I actually tried a flip belt for the first time on race day. Other than it causing me to lose a headphone cover, it worked out really well. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try four new things though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I always seem to be violating the 'new on race day' rule, so this is par for the course with me. Hopefully I'm running out of new things to try!

      Delete
  6. sounds like such a fun weekend! can't wait to read more (especially about what you tried new!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E! I was a bit of a rebel on race day (mainly because time wasn't a factor). It all turned out well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...