Monday, March 2, 2015

Miles for Maria Training Week #1

With just 7 weeks until my first timed race, the 6 hour option at Miles for Maria, my focus is on developing endurance. I felt really good after the 32+ mile RunDONNA weekend and had no issues with recovery. I did end up taking a full week off, but that was mostly due to a head cold late in the week.  I'm holding back on developing any goals for the 6 hour until I get an idea of what my body is up for now that I am moving back into a regular training rhythm again.

Monday:  Yep. It's cookie time at our house.
Actual: Rest

Tuesday: Back at it. Trying to keep the pace a little lighter as I recover from 26.2 with DONNA and just work on moving back into a regular training schedule.
Actual: 3.1 miles running (9:16/mile pace)

Wednesday: Snow day! I took advantage of a rare 'snow day' in Atlanta to get in a midday run. I also managed some strength training (squats, lunges, and some upper body work) and foam rolling.
Actual: 4 miles running (9:27/mile pace)
Don't blink, or you may miss the snow in Atlanta.
Thursday: Some residual congestion from my post-marathon head cold was really bothering me. I decide to take an extra day off to see if it would help it clear. Happy to say I am breathing more normally now.
Actual: Rest

Friday: We went to Mellowmushroom for pizza and I was looking forward to it all day. And it was Friday. So basically, it was an awesome day.
Actual: Rest

Saturday: My goal for the weekend was to get in back to back runs and have one of them around 8-10 miles. I join the Jayhawk for an easy shake out 10k (he has a goal race next weekend). The weather was so lovely, that I headed back out for a hilly 3 miler by myself. I definitely have some work to do to get some of my strength back, but I'm making progress.
Actual: 6.2 miles (11min/mile pace); 3 miles (9:03 min/mile pace)

Sunday: I joined up with one of my regular running groups for a very soggy 6 miler. The forecast originally had the rain coming in around noon, but just for fun it surprised us and started right when we started running. Nothing like 38 and raining to wake you up! I forgot to wear my garmin, so I estimated the total time (others had us on spot of mileage). Legs felt good and made for a good strength and endurance building weekend.
Actual: 6 miles (probably 10 min/mile) and some foam rolling.

How was your week? Anyone race or run some place new?

6 comments:

  1. I wish we could get snow days with that amount of accumulation! I'd never have to go to work in the winter. I'll be interested to hear how the timed race goes. I almost always do runs based off distance, so I think it'd be challenging to pace based on time. (Though I'm sure you'll do great!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Rebecca, it silly down here, but with only something like 8 snowplows in the state, there really isn't anything they can do when it falls. I'm really curious about timed races so I picked a kind of middle time (there was a 3,6,12,and 24 hour option).

      Delete
  2. It's good you are listening to your body! I am trying to be patient, I still haven't run since my little vacation :)
    I am sure you will get it back quickly! It's awesome your run Donna weekend went so well. 7 weeks is a good amount of time to rebuild :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience is still so hard! I've been trying to build up slowly and not go back to 5 days of running, but I feel lazy sometimes. I think I need another crosstraining item.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh I would kill for a box of Samoas - I have an issue where I think I whole box of Samoas and a whole sleeve of Think Mints is a single serving. If this is not true please don't tell me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely single serving. Never lasted longer than that at my house. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...