Friday, April 10, 2015

Miles for Maria Goals and Contest!

It's Miles for Maria week already! Wow, that went fast. I am not feeling fully prepared for a 6 hour effort, but I had always seen this event as more of a learning experience than a race. With less than 24 hours until the starting gun, it's time to put together some expectations and goals for the event.
For the most part, I am keeping my goals a little non-traditional. I am participating the 6 hour race starting at 8am (there are also 3, 12, and 24 hour waves). With a new to me race format, not a ton of long distance work during my training, and an expected race forecast as 70s and sunny, I'm keep my mileage goals to a minimum.
  • Complete 20 miles. Yeah, I know I just said that I wasn't making a lot of mileage goals, but even if I keep it to a slow run-walk, I think I can get in 20 miles.
  • Don't get sunburned. I can't think of anything worst than recovering from a long race with a bad sunburn.
  • Keep the pace comfortable and conversational. I feel like going out quickly in a timed race is a recipe for disaster. Let's not do that.
  • Continue to work on fueling long efforts. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Long races are all about metabolic management. This is a great opportunity to learn more about what works for me.
  • Be proud of the effort I put out. 6 hours is a long time to run and stay focused, but I hope to give my best effort throughout the event.
  • Have fun! I chose to do this. Enjoy the sunny day and the company of the other runners.
Alright, now time for a contest. The person who guesses how many miles I complete during the 6 hour race will receive a special surprise (spoiler: it will probably be fueling related). As usual it will be Price is Right rules, (closest without going over). Just submit a comment below this post by 8AM on April 11th (i.e. before I start running) to be entered! In the event that rain is a factor in the race and we don't get to run all 6 hours, I will randomly pick one person from the comments.

Contest rules: One guess per person. No anonymous comments if you actually want to win. All guesses must be submitted by 8AM EST on April 11, 2015. As usual, I am the judge and jury and have final say in all contests. This is purely for fun. Winner will be contacted once I recover from the race.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow - my guess is 26 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry I've been gone. I would have enjoyed the lead up to this event. Regardless it looks like a great event and you have a great plan. Don't come out too fast, 6 hrs is a long time lol.

    I'm guessing 27 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you are spot on--comfortable, manageable pace, hydration and fueling, and sun block (but don't forget the body glide! Because chafing is just is bad, milady). I think you'll easily do a marathon, I'm gonna go big with 29. Also I like that number. GET IT GIRL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the high guess. Thanks for the confidence!

      Delete
  4. When I've been undertrained for some marathons, it's taken me six hours. That is a long time to be out there - good luck! The key is just to focus on your progress, not the time. I'm going to guess 28 miles...though I hope you can run more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am dying to hear how this went for you! I have never run a timed event like this, it does sound like it would be a fun challenge.
    I like your plan, sounds like a plan for success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I was a little slow in getting my recap together, but it's up now! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...