Monday, April 27, 2015

Weekly Training Recap

In the first week after Miles for Maria, I felt fine, but I took it pretty easy anyway. Post race I took two days off and then went for an easy cycle on Tuesday. I waited until Thursday to got for my first run, but it didn't feel awesome. Nothing felt injured or wrong, it just felt not great, so I stopped around 2.5 miles in and took the rest of the week off. It was totally worth it and I felt fine the second week after the race (yay for smart runner moment). I also did a good job (for me) of stretching and rolling during my week off. I always find judging race recoveries more difficult when you don't have a lot of physical symptoms (soreness, tiredness, etc), but this time I knew there was no harm in a few extra days off. It's like I'm learning.

Monday: Back at it. The time off was well worth it and my legs felt back to normal. I enjoyed my run and am excited to get back at it (but not too quickly)!
Actual: 3.1 miles (9:07/mile)

Tuesday: Kept the pace moderate for another day. Trying to be more conservative with recovery these days after the shin thing.
Actual: 3.1 miles (9:10/mile)

Wednesday: The Jayhawk was late getting to the gym (we carpool to work and often use the work gym), so I got some bonus time on the treadmill. I used that time to do a ladder workout and to start to introduce pace back into my runs. It was fun! :)
Actual: 5 miles (8:53/mile)

Thursday: I took a rest day and met up with some of my Atlanta runner friends at Road Runner Sports Ladies Night out. It was sponsored by Brooks and Moving Comfort, and there were lots of snacks and giveaways. We didn't win much in the raffles, but it was great to catch up with everyone!
Actual: Rest
 
Girls Gone Wild.
Friday: It was a long week and I was tired.
Actual: Rest

Saturday: On Saturday group run got move to Sunday due to some crazy weather moving through Atlanta that morning. I ended up being lazy and never actually going for a run that day.
Actual: Rest

Sunday: I met up with a bunch of fellow Atlanta Lady runners and bloggers for a bit of a farewell run for Jesica from Runladylike. She is moving out of town, so went sent her off in the best way we knew how: with a long run and brunch! I ran with some ladies I'd never run with and enjoy what was probably the last of Atlanta's spring (you could feel the humidity building).
Actual: 6.4 miles (10:03/mile)
Amanda, Amy, Jess, and myself (L to R)
L to R: Myself, Jess, Amy, Jesica, Amanda, Elizabeth (Source: Runladylike)
I rested a little more than I intended this week. I am currently in between training plans and a little extra rest and relaxation for my legs is probably for the best.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in on Friday's post with some of their favorite blogs! Always great to add to the reading list and see what inspires others!

How was your week? How much time did you like to take off after races?

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are back at it! I rest pretty well after my big races (the ones that I actually really push at), but I don't take too too much time off from general movement or I get really stiff and tight. But my new thing is I tend to get hurt in between races. Like right freaking now. But this isn't about me--tho I do wish I had been at that event!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie! I've been getting better about resting after big events. I tend to be excited and not very good at sitting still. I got injured between my last marathons too! Hope you are quick to heal!

      Delete
  2. I am glad the extra rest helped! You still had a good week even if you did have a few extra rest days. I am trying to listen to legs too and take rest when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to rest. I get excited and don't like to sit still. I've been trying to find alternatives to running during recovery.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for taking extra rest! I took a whole week off completely after Blue Ridge. It was the same as you - nothing felt bad, I just felt blah overall, but the extra recovery time made a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Slowly but surely I'm becoming responsible. It makes such a difference!

      Delete
  4. You are smart, smart, smart, but I know you've learned how to listen to your body after all of those miles and races you've done. Glad you were able to take it easy and enjoy your week. Hope you're feeling fresher this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! It's all a learning process, but I'm getting the hang of it!

      Delete
  5. Yay for being a smart runner! I feel like we all KNOW when to take it easy/listen to our bodies/etc. but to actually put it into practice takes some wisdom. It's always worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely I'm becoming a smart runner! Exactly! I always know I need rest, but it doesn't always happen!

      Delete
  6. You deserve a rest after your race! Sounds like a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! Hope you are resting well after your 50 miler!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...