Thursday, May 7, 2015

50k Training Plan: The Second Snakebite

It's time to talk training plans again. Please contain your excitement.
 This is what happens when I try hard not to close my eyes in a photo.
Overall, I was really happy with my training plan last year for Snakebite 50k. The mileage was challenging, yet doable for me. I didn't miss many workouts due to fatigue or injury (most 'misses' were due to travel or schedule changes). So for the most part, this plan is very similar to the 50k training plan version 2.0 that I developed last year. The mileage is basically the same except for a little shifting for races that I already had on the calendar. I will still have 2 non-running days a week because that works well for my body, and I hope to be going steady with my foam roller (we kind of have a hot/cold relationship right now). The big changes that I hope to make are in execution.
Green numbers indicate races.

In my lessons learned post after the race last year, there were several things I had wanted to improve in the future and I will focus on those items this training cycle.
  1. Time on feet: Only one run during my last 50k training cycle was longer than 3 hours, the Troop Trot 39k. This was partially do to the fact that most of my long runs were on the road or treadmill and my pace kept them all below the 3 hour mark. I am aiming to make sure that I have several workouts (probably the three 20+ milers) that keep me on my feet for over 3 hours.
  2. Time on Terrain: I was sore after both the 50k and 39k. Much of this was due to the different stresses that trail running puts on your body and the fact that I didn't do a lot of trail training. This round I am hoping to get in several long trail runs (which will also help with item #1 above). This will improve both post race recovery and muscle fatigue on race day.
  3. Continue to work on fueling: My fueling went well last year during the race (no barfing, no major bonk), but I did feel my energy drop on the 3rd lap. I plan on continuing to try to fuels and strategies during this training cycle to make sure I am getting enough during the race.
  4. Strength training: Though I did do strength training during last year's training cycle, I didn't make it a priority. This year I plan on not only making it a regular occurrence during training, but I hope to develop a few strength training routines that I can rotate through to make it easier. My current strength training habits lack organization, so this is an opportunity to work on it in general.
So there you have it. My plan officially starts on Monday. That leaves me time to revise it several times between now and then as people make recommendations.

Thoughts? Comments? Feelings? I always open to hearing them!

16 comments:

  1. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems like you did a good job planning back-to-back runs without forcing yourself to run insane mileage. Are you planning on doing any speed work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! My first goal is to get in all the mileage, but I hope to do a little speed work (probably tempo runs) on the midweek runs.

      Delete
  2. This seems like a really balanced plan. I also like to take Monday off (to rest after weekend long efforts) and Friday off (to rest after the week and get ready for the Saturday long run) so my training plans tend to look similar. This also reminds me that I need to get a plan together for my fall 50 miler soon - time to stop dicking around and get serious again I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda! I like the balance of the two rest days. I have to have a plan or I will put it off forever and anot focus. Get your plan together! I'm curious to see what it looks like.

      Delete
  3. I could barely sit still my excitement was running so high lol. So awesome to see you take your lessons learned and put them into your training plan.

    My personal advice, def agree with time on terrain and fueling. I go with gels throughout my long runs and they seem to work really well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.

      Given the length of the race, I need more than just gels. Hoping to use a mix of gels, solids, and liquid carbs.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are being really smart about it.
    I couldn't get my strength training together so that is why I finally broke down and joined Orange Theory. I now go 2/3 times a week and they force me to strength train in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! Orange Theory sounds really cool and I need to look into it.

      Delete
  5. I just follow along with interest taking notes. You'll be an expert after this cycle :) I am always impressed by how well you handle the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm not sure about being an expert, but I will definitely have a long list of do's and don'ts! Thank you Karen! :)

      Delete
  6. I have no advice to give considering I can't even fathom running that distance. One day when I decide to take on an Ultra I'll come back here for tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I hope your training is going well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...