Monday, May 18, 2015

Snakebite 50k Training Week #1

Monday: It's always weird to start a training plan with a rest day, but it's a good confidence booster knowing that you are nailing 100% of your mileage after the first day.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: Stuck to the treadmill for my first actual day of training. My goal it to keep most of my runs easy for the first few weeks of my training plan to allow my body time to adjust to the increased mileage and introduce speed and hill workouts after that. I probably should try to keep it a hair easier, but I get bored on the treadmill after a while.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (9:07/mile)

Wednesday: First 'hotter' run of the year (85ish). Though I've been working on staying hydrated, it will take a few hotter runs for my body to start increasing my plasma volume (there is some good nerdiness for you). I headed down to Lullwater Park near work for a few laps around the reservoir. It's a mostly flat loop, with a 1k hill in/out of the park (down on the way in, up on the way out). When I got home, I focused on rolling and stretching my hips and behind. Just trying to stay on top of any tightness and work on flexibility.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6.1 miles (9:30/mile); 25 minutes light yoga; foam rolling
I ran so fast, I was blurry. Ok, not really.
Thursday: I went back inside on the treadmill not because of the heat, but because of my schedule. It was easier and a bit faster to just knock out the miles inside. Overall, it was a good run, but I need to refresh my play lists. It's getting a little to predictable when you know your mileage based on the song playing.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (9:07/mile)

Friday: I was so happy when Friday arrived. Why do weeks feel longer after some time off? I celebrated Friday by trying out Fascist Pig Ale from Finch's Beer CO. in Chicago. There is a lot going on in this beer and it's very flavorful for an ale. It has a strong malt flavor and is more complex like a IPA, not light like a pale ale. Definitely a sipping beer and I only had one.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest
Beer of the week: Fascist Pig Ale
Saturday: I woke up at 3am sick as a dog (migraine with nausea). No, it wasn't from the 1 beer I drank on Friday. I had hoped it would pass and I could shift my run to the afternoon, but eventually I had to admit I didn't feel well and take the day off. Boo. There goes the perfect week.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 30 minutes yoga

Sunday: Feeling somewhat back to normal, I met up with a group for a 6 mile run. The pace was easy and it was the perfect way to get the legs moving again.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 6 miles (10:25/mile)

Not the perfect start to training, but overall my legs felt good and keeping the pace light helped ease into the increased mileage. I did a solid job on incorporating more stretching and yoga, but haven't added in strength work yet. Baby steps!

How was your week? What is your favorite rest day activity?

9 comments:

  1. My favorite rest day activity is the same as yours- drinking beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, great minds think alike!

      Delete
  2. Yep, me too on the beer lol
    You had a good week. You do good at going easier pace than you can knock out, and taking care of the legs. I had my first heat melt down this morning, and bagged my run after 1 mile. I ran on the treadmill after work. I like A/C.
    Do you ever hit shuffle, or are you just over all your songs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, and I was just starting to wonder if anyone enjoyed the endless beer reviews. :)
      I had my first heat melt down this past week too. I guess that means summer has officially started. I use shuffle a lot more lately. I think it's just time to add a bunch of new songs to mix it up!

      Delete
  3. The run around the reservoir sounds lovely. Hope you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The run around the reservoir sounds lovely. Hope you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. playing catch up- last post- sounds like you should've taken a full weeks vacation! your pics were gorgeous. excited to follow this new training cycle. and, fav rest day activity- catching up on my tv and/or blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth! I hope you are enjoying your rest!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...