Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Snakebite 50k Training Week #2

Monday: I was tagged on instagram by Beth over at Running with the Sunrise to post a yoga pose. Her pose was awesome. She did a video of an inverted headstand thing that looked so graceful and serene. I decided to go with a handstand because the Jayhawk was home to finally take a picture. When I was coming down from it, my calf cramped and I fell over (no seriously, I did) and in all my gracefulness, managed to scrape/bruise the crap out of my arm while falling over. Yes, I was injured while yoga-ing. To add insult to my feeble injury, my handstand is too tall to crop to instagram, so I ended up posting with the back bend I've been working on. Who says yoga is low impact and stress free? Next time I am going with Child's pose.
Planned: Rest  Actual: 25 minutes of living room yoga
 When yoga attacks.
Tuesday: As evident from the story above, I've been having calf trouble again lately. I tend to get a lot of tightness and knots in my calves, but recently I've been getting spontaneous cramping as well when at rest. I've been working on stretching and rolling them daily to reduce the tightness and increase the flexibility. As luck would have it, I also came across a yoga challenge specifically focused on calves for runners! I am a little nervous to start posting in it because others have artistic and lovely photos, while I am struggling just to achieve the poses (you can really see how tight my calves are in some of the photos) but I figured it was a good challenge for myself and a great way to learn new poses specifically for my calves.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (9:10/mile); Foam rolling; light yoga

Wednesday: Ug. That is the best description I have for this run. Ug. I left my office a little later than usual and didn't have my pre-run snack. On top of that, I didn't bring any fuel with me (I did bring water/electrolytes). Yes, I know better. My energy felt low throughout the run and the humidity was really bothering my breathing. I never felt strong during this run and by then end I felt dehydrated  and overheated. I may have to start carrying my hydration pack on hot afternoons instead of just my handheld. Overall it didn't bother me mentally too much. I was kind of overdue for a hard run and it definitely reminds me I need to take hydration and fueling seriously on every run, not just long runs.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 8 miles (9:34/mile)
With all the rain we've had this spring, Atlanta is very green!
Thursday: A world of difference. Though the pace isn't anything impressive, this run felt 10x better than Wednesday's. I made sure to heavily pre-hydrate an hour or so before heading to the gym and I really noticed the difference.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (9:07/mile)

Friday: Is there a better feeling that a sunny Friday night to kick off a 3 day weekend?
Planned: Rest  Actual: Light yoga

Saturday: Joined the Jayhawk on his long run. I didn't get to finish out my miles because we were in a rush to get an open house for a place we really want to rent. Turns out house renting is a highly competitive sport and there were already 5 other families there when we got there!
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 8.1 miles (10:58/mile)

Sunday: Got in a quick 3 to make up for yesterday's mileage before meeting a group for a 5 mile run. Though we met at our usually coffee spot, we dusted off an old, rather hilly route through the Little 5 neighborhood. This may have been my fault because earlier in the week I asked the route designer if we would be having hills for breakfast. After taking 2 weeks with easy pace, the challenge of some hills was a nice change.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 3 miles (9:06/mile); 5.4 miles (10:22/mile)
 
Planned: 34 miles
Actual: 34.5 miles
How was your week? Any exciting plans for the 3 day weekend?

10 comments:

  1. You had a good week minus the scraping and bruising. It's nice you are running some with your hubby now :) I hope you can get the calf muscles to cooperate. I like following your yoga adventures :) I am afraid my lack of coordination has kept me from giving this a serious shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It was a good week. I'm rather clumsy (as is evident by the fall) so yoga has been a bit of an adventure for me. Slowly but surely getting more confident about sharing poses.

      Delete
    2. I tried the pose last night you did in the pink shorts...oh my, I have issues, I am tight and weak!

      Delete
    3. I'm right there with you. Some of the poses I've tried aren't even close to what they should look like. I just keep trying a little more each time. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, I think that's awesome you can do any sort of headstand at all! I'm pretty sure if I tried one I would break my whole body. I had some trouble with calf cramping last summer, and the only thing my therapist could really recommend was to drink more water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! There were many capsizes early in the handstand process. I would actually have to clear out furniture in the living room before trying it. It might actually be related to hydration. I drink a lot, but it still takes time for my body to adjust to the heat in the summer.

      Delete
  3. Injuring myself while doing yoga is definitely something I would do. Your arm looks like it was very painful! I hope your calf isn't giving you too much trouble and loosens up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney. Something tells me this won't be my last yoga injury.

      Delete
  4. This is why I don't do yoga - it is dangerous.
    Or maybe just because I cannot be still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The still thing is really the hardest pose. I tend to get in to a pose and then want to be done.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...