Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Weekly Training Recap: 5/4-5/10

With this being my last week before 50k training starts (or as the Jayhawk calls it, when the grocery bill blows up), I focused this week on consistency. We were travelling again for a long weekend, so I had to shift around my days a bit, but I was happy with all of my runs. Now just to up the mileage and heat training!

Monday: Swapped Monday's usual rest day with Sunday this week. While I am not specifically focusing on a particular pace for my 50k training, I am hoping to keep some of the shorter runs at a little bit of a faster pace and the longer ones at an easy pace.
Actual: 3.5 miles (9:06/mile)

Tuesday: A nice 5k for Cinco de Mayo after work followed by making spinach pasta salad for my mom for Mother's Day. It's the little things sometimes.
Actual: 3.1 miles (9:21/mile)
Pasta making is a key part of training, or at least carbo loading.
Wednesday: We travelled back to South Carolina to spend Mother's Day weekend with my family. We weren't able to spend the whole week, so we settled for two long weekends instead. It's so relaxing, I didn't even think twice about it.
Actual: Rest
It was worth making the drive 2 weekends in a row.
Thursday: Snuck in a few miles before tropical storm Ana dumped some rain on us. We were lucky in that the rain really only lasted one afternoon. It remained windy throughout the weekend, but that is just some bonus resistance training.
Actual: 3.1 miles (9:20/mile)
Where to put my chair....
Friday: We rested and it was just what we needed. Turns out, I hadn't taken any time off work since last June (Whoops!) except 1 day for each of my last two marathons. It was well overdue. (Note to self: remember to use vacation days).
Actual: Rest
Saturday: I joined the Jayhawk on his long run. While we run different paces, I enjoy joining him, getting in easy miles, and seeing how close I can get to pacing him at his desired pace (11:00/mile this week). I think I did pretty well this time.
Actual: 8.5 miles (10:57/mile)
 
Sunday: Started the process of reintroducing weekend doubles and running on tired legs. I tried to push the pace a little, but it was still a bit windy due to the remains of tropical storm Ana so I felt like I was battling the wind the entire time. Happy to get in 13+ for the weekend and have plenty of bounce left in my legs. The Jayhawk joined me on bike, and I really enjoyed having him there.
Actual: 5 miles (8:55/mile)
And just like that, our mini break was over.

How was your week? Do you enjoy running with people who run a different pace?

12 comments:

  1. Taking two long weekends sounds really nice - you can look forward to two separate trips! I can't feel you on the vacation days though, I always make sure to use mine up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on a mission to be better at using them! I was way to tired and burned out. On to vacation planning! :)

      Delete
  2. Tropical Storm Ana dumped rain on us for 2 days straight here, it was miserable! And now it is sooo humid! Your views from your mini vacations are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did bring some solid rains, but we had more troubles with the wind where we were. At least there wasn't any major damage. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I ran with some people from the gym this weekend who are a bit faster than me and it really pushed me. I like to do that every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so helpful to mix it up. I find that I will push harder with a faster group.

      Delete
  4. Great week of workouts and AMAZING pics! Way to get your runs in while traveling. Beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jesica! Hope everything is going well in Tampa!

      Delete
  5. Pictures are amazing. I'm just as excited as you are for when you start 50k training lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! It's a nervous excitement. :P

      Delete
  6. I've been doing some long runs with a friend who runs at a different pace than me lately, too, and I've been really enjoying trying to get the pace right for her. It's a fun challenge! Normally I settle into "my" pace without any thought so it's been interesting to see how close I can get to running at her pace (especially when I'm the one navigating trails/leading) without having to look at my watch every two seconds. Nice beach pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great challenge. I was so pumped that I nailed the pace on this one. I think the Jayhawk was a little surprised by my enthusiasm. Thanks Brenda!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...