Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Snakebite 50k Training Week #6

After moving-palooza, I decided to ease back into training a bit this week (regular schedule, but incrementally increase back to full mileage). I felt a little tweaky after a week of reduced mileage (this often happens to me). As a bonus, it was 90+ here all week, so heat training got added back in with avengance. I also joined another yoga challenge on instagram and I'm having lots of fun trying new poses and getting my yoga on once again.

Monday: I've talked a bit about the Yeti Trail Runners group that I occassionally run with (they put on the Snakebite, many of them are involved in Troop Trot, etc). Last week Jason (head Yeti) was on Ultrarunner podcast talking about the Yeti races, his approach to running, and racing Western States this month. It's a great listen and will give you more insight into why I enjoy their events so much (yes, beer is discussed).
Planned: Rest    Actual: Yoga

Tuesday: Hot, Hot, Hot. I took my first spin around the new neighborhood after work and I came home looking like a tomato. It's been in the 90's all week in Atlanta, and it probably wasn't the best way to welcome myself back to running, but it does count for some solid heat training!
Planned: 6 miles    Actual: 3.1 miles (8:52/mile)

Wednesday: Back on the treadmill due to a heat and smog advisory. It was still really hot in the gym, but I got it done. I followed it up with strength training (core and hips) and 30 minutes of yoga at home.
Planned: 8 miles    Actual: 6 miles (9:09/mile); Core and hips;Yoga

Thursday: Felt more like I was getting back in the grove today. Stayed inside again due to the heat. I've started taking 1 mile walks with the Monster around the hood every morning and I am hoping to build it into a short run in the future (2ish miles).
Planned: 5 miles    Actual: 5.25 miles (9:06/mile)
Photobomb courtesy of the Monster.
Friday: YAY!
Planned: Rest    Actual: Rest

Saturday: Joined the Jayhawk for his long run and we checked out our new stomping grounds. We ran onto Electric Avenue. Then it took us higher (there was a hill). Not going to lie, it was a hot run. I dropped him off after 7+, refilled my bottle, and headed back out to finish my run. I went for the whole half marathon (is that an oxymoron?) to complete my Skirt Sports 13er Virtual race. I may even recap it.
Planned: 12 miles   Actual: 7.1 miles (11:07/mile); 6 miles (9:13/mile)
Sing it with me now...
Sunday: In addition to celebrating Father's Day, we kept busy with unpacking. All the boxes are gone and it feels good.
Planned: 8 miles    Actual: 30 minutes yoga; unpacking (strength training)

How was your week? Did you do anything special for Father's Day?

15 comments:

  1. Week 6 already?! You did better than me in the heat. I can't get a long run in to save my life lol
    It's nice you are the Jayhawk are running together ;) I am impressed you got the 12 miles in, it has been rough here temp wise as well.
    My gym is really hot too, it's just about as bad a s bad being outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing! It's really flying by. The gym feels so stale. I don't think the ac is keeping up!

      Delete
  2. Your little Electric Avenue joke made me laugh. Good job getting back out for another 6 miles - in that heat, I probably would have stopped at 7 as well and called it a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited when I found Electric Ave! Who knew!

      Delete
  3. 90's that's it lol?!?! It was 95 during the middle of the night here in az. Try 115 during the day, now that is hot :). Fathers day was pool and grilling at our house, great family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hot. At least you don't have to worry about the humidity. Sounds like a great Father's Day!

      Delete
  4. I loved that Electric Avenue sign. Seriously amazing. Yah, you guys are getting rocked down there. One of our horses (out in Madison) even started on the path to heat stroke. Please be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It's been pretty rough, but I make sure to take water on every run and leave an extra bottle on the front steps in case I need a quick refill. I can't stop sweating. It's really attractive.

      Delete
  5. I do NOT miss the heat in the South. :) Glad you're surviving! And awesome yoga poses, girl! You are kicking some serious asana. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! I've been working hard and it's really helping me identify strengths and weaknesses! Oh this heat....

      Delete
  6. Wow - I have been grumpy when it hits 80, 90 sounds way too hot! We still have a ton of boxes to go through - congrats on getting all yours unpacked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was eager to get everything unpacked. Still a lot of organizing and decorating to do, but it's liveable now!

      Delete
  7. So hot! Yikes! And Electric Ave, hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are right with me there on the heat! Stay cool!

      Delete
  8. Nice job - I really need to get yoga back into my week! So hard to squeeze everything I want to do for the week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...