Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Snakebite 50k Training Week #7

Lucky number 7. I'm getting to that point in training where my shortest run for the week is 'only 5 miles'. It's a wierd mental place, but as I approach halfway through training, I'm in starting to get into the meat of the miles. Things went well this week with my first really long run in a while, lots of yoga, and settling back into a grove in life.

Monday: Continued with the second week of the yoga challenge. This challenged has really helped me identified some strengths and weaknesses (hips and groin!).
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Tuesday: Inside on the mill.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6 miles (9:02/mile)
Wednesday: Took to the streets to explore some new to me areas in the new neighborhood including a really beautiful, old cemetery. I wasn't sure if I should run through at first, but it turns out it's a popular place for walking and running. It was pretty hilly, but a great spot to escape the streets.
Planned: 8 miles   Actual: 8.1 miles (9:08/mile)
Some fun street art in the new neighborhood.
Thursday: I won't lie. I was a little excited to 'only' have 5 miles. The mental shift has begun where 5 miles feels like a routine amount to knockout.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (9:01/mile)
Friday: Fridays always make me happy.
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
I was so happy it was Friday, I yoga'd in my jeans.
Saturday: Woke up to find 97% humidity and a chance of showers. Made the executive decision to flip-flop my weekend workouts, and joined in on an easy group run. Probably the best decision I've made in a while.
Planned: 18 miles  Actual: 5 miles (10:40/mile pace)
I was inspired by Jurassic Worlds during my long run.
Sunday: Perfect day for a long run. Little humidity and cool temps. It was the kind of day we hope for all summer. I ran a little faster than I should have, but I don't think I'll have long run weather like this for the rest of the summer. Spent the rest of the day outside building gardens.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 16.25 miles (8:58/mile pace)
Yes, that is the Monster in the background chewing on a stick. She is the reigning queen of photobombs.
One of the big stories of the week was Western States 100 where Gunhild Swanson became the first 70+ yo woman finisher with only 6 seconds to spare. To make the story even more incredible, she had to run 7 min/mile pace on the track to do it. She was paced in by a multitude of friends, her pacers, and even the men's winner, Rob Krar. I highly recommend checking it out!

How was your week? Would you run in a cemetery?

20 comments:

  1. Great week of training! I always switch around my long runs if it's too hot and humid... totally not worth complete exhaustion. It is always amusing how much of a mental shift happens when I start marathon training and 5 or 6 miles becomes "so short" haha. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The mental shift is a bizarre moment. I have to becareful when I say 'only' 5 mile and people look at me funny!

      Delete
  2. Flip-flopping workouts is something I do all of the time! I heard about Swanson and will check out your link. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flip flopping is a must in the summer. It's the only way to survive.

      Delete
  3. That's a tough mental switch when you are in the thick of summer. If I can get a 5K done with out a walk break I feel like I won a prize lol
    That's great you are enjoying the Yoga, it feels so good to stretch it out.
    What an awesome long run you had this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Summers are tough on everyone. There are days I'm pretty excited to hit a red light!

      Delete
  4. Don't you love when you flip flop the workouts and it ends up being PERFECT for it? It is like YES. SUCK ON THAT NATURE.
    Also, good thing that you had a sign for "old cemetery." Otherwise you might have been really confused....
    I hope you love the bars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out so well, but I think Mother's Nature made up for it by pouring all over us at Peachtree. I'm cool with it.

      That sign was clutch. Wasn't sure where I was for a bit. ;)

      Delete
  5. That moment of Swanson crossing the finish line made me tear up! SO inspiring! I'm impressed by the consistency of your pace and also that you're able to run that many miles averaging a sub-9 pace, I definitely can't! Do you find that training so many miles on the roads makes it more difficult to ultimately run a trail ultra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was cheering as I watched the video even though it had happened days before!
      I have trouble easily accessing trails from where I live. Pavement training doesn't make the 50k harder, but I know my pace will drop significantly on trails. I'm trying to work in a few long trail runs to help my joints adjust to the terrain. It's not ideal, but it will work.

      Delete
  6. Awesome job getting your run and yoga on! Love that yoga is helping you train for such a long race. I actually think that cemeteries are really pretty, so I would probably run through one, as long as it's not super creepy. Or Halloween. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! It's a beautiful cemetery with a lot of really old elements. Looks like a lot of people enjoy it for daily walks.

      Delete
  7. I need to throw in more stretching and yoga. Just read about Gunhild, wow that is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stretching and yoga are really helpful as training ramps up. I recommend it! She is awesome!

      Delete
  8. I remember my first marathon training cycle when eight miles no longer seemed "long". That was a huge mental shift for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a big moment and it really helps keep me more mentally calm on long runs.

      Delete
  9. Love finding cool street art or sculptures! Before I read your caption I def thought of Jurassic World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Street art is a fun distraction on the run. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  10. I am kind of a wuss, so not sure I would run in a cemetery, but glad you are checking out your new town.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...