Thursday, June 18, 2015

Snakebite Training Week #4+5

Sorry for the absence around here. We were moving (and I was moving at work just for extra fun) so internet access and time that didn't involve packing was hard to come by. Life is slowly getting back to normal as we figure out where we packed everything (has anyone seen the spoons?). Even though the last two weeks have been full of boxes and packaging tape, I did still manage to squeeze in some miles. Not as many as I hoped, but it's amazing how much moving can tire your legs out! Without further ado, here is a brief recap of weeks #4&5!
Week 4
Monday: Rest

National Running Day and National Donut Day in one week? Best. Week. Ever.
Tuesday: After feeling good through 3 weeks of base building, I started to add in just a little speed work.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: 5 miles (8:48/mile)

Wednesday: Yet another year when I didn't run on National Running Day. I think I get good credit for the rest of the year. The Monster was unbelievably sick resulting in an emergency trip to the vet and attempts to clean dog vomit off the living carpet which was also filled with moving boxes (there's a good visual for you). It was like the Exorcist, but her head never spun around. It was a stressful and scary day, but thanks to modern medicine, she has been revived to her old self.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: None

Thursday: I was still a bit tired from Monster's health fiasco, so I had no bounce during this run. I headed down to Lullwater Park and explored some new (to me) trails.
Planned: 5 miles   Actual:5.75 miles (9:19/mile)
Friday: Rest; Donut Repeats

Saturday: I met up with some friends down at Piedmont Park to get in some fun (and warm) miles. Summer has definitely arrived.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 10.25
Random runner photobomb.
Sunday: Met up with a different group for some recovery miles. I didn't wear my garmin, but the pace was nice and easy.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 5.75 miles

Week 5:
Monday: We started to officially move, so of course you move the most important things first.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest
Tuesday: I didn't read my schedule and didn't realize it was the day my run shifted from 5 to 6 miles.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 5 miles (9:02/mile)
Note: A box of bling is actually really heavy. #strengthtraining
Wednesday: All the packing and moving started to take it's toll. I just didn't have a lot of energy to give.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 4 miles (9:01/mile)
Trying to do yoga in a packing zone is challenging.
Thursday: Stayed late at work preparing for the move there. I love tape guns.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: Rest

Friday: I knew I wasn't getting in any of my Saturday miles, so I got in a quick run to at least shake my legs out.
Planned: Rest  Actual: 3.5 (8:59/mile)

Saturday: Moving Day! And as luck would have it, the first 90+ day of the summer. It was hot, it was humid, but we got it done and are happy as could be.
Planned: 16 miles  Actual: Rest
Just a dog and her yard.
Sunday: I was surprised how much the move took out of me. I woke up exhausted and decided scratching my run wasn't the worst thing ever. We went out for donuts instead.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: Rest

How was your week? Do you find moving exhausting?

16 comments:

  1. This is a pretty solid week considering all you had going on! Sorry to hear your dog got sick, that's always so stressful. I thought of you the other night because I was listening to an episode of Ultra Runner Podcast that featured an interview with the Yeti Runners guy - you've run some of the Yeti races, right? I liked the interview a lot, he seemed super cool & is also a skateboarder, it was interesting to me to hear him talk about the similarities between the two sports/subcultures. You should check out the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is Jason! He is the fearless race director who hands out beer to finishers (including me at Snakebite). I loved the podcast and it sums him up perfectly. I was going to link to it this week!

      Delete
    2. He seems awesome! My boyfriend is a skateboarder and it has been like, his whole life since he was 11. I really liked hearing Jason talk about the similarities between the two sports and their cultures.

      Delete
    3. He is great. I don't think I could have asked for a better race director and race 'feel' for my first ultra. He started giving custom decks for overall awards and they are amazing.

      Delete
  2. What horrible timing with the double move! I cut a lot of runs when we were moving, it was necessary for my physical and mental health. That looks like an awesome backyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The timing stunk. I originally had tried to avoid having it happen, but then it worked out that they were on back to back days. Slowly returning to sanity!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful trail! Oh what kind of donut was that, coconut? Haha my box of bling would probably look like that too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! That would be the toasted coconut cake donut, one of my current favorites.

      Delete
  4. Moving is a huge chore - cross-training, for sure! I'd take a rest, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great way to get in some cross training! So many squats and lifts!

      Delete
  5. Ugh, 2 moves at the same time, that does not sound fun! That's great that you still got some runs in and now are all moved in. I didn't have any doughnuts on doughnut day, because I didn't even know it was that day until the day after! :) I think I should make up for it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't the most fun, but I am so much happier now that it is all over! Definitely make up for missing out on National Donut Day. It's your patriotic duty.

      Delete
  6. I think you got my very favorite type of donut ever - coconut cake from Dunkin?
    Glad your furbaby is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love the toasted coconut! :)

      Delete
  7. Moving is tough stuff. I am glad Mia is okay, poor girl. I only ran two miles on national Running day, if that make you feel better...it was a sticky 100% humid, just wasn't feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It was scary but lots of good meds got her back to normal. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...