Monday, July 6, 2015

June Recap

Miles: 112.05

Races: Virtual Skirt Sports 13er. I didn't end up writing a recap (mainly because there wasn't a whole lot to recap from a training run/virtual race), but I enjoyed the concept of this race, that 13.1 miles isn't half of anything. It reminded me of how Joan (yes, we are on a first name basis) would correct people that say they are 'just' running the half. Be proud of the distance you are running.  I enjoyed the packet I received (Powerbar, Skratch Labs sample, and cookie) and love the soft, jersey skirt they had instead of a race shirt. I do like the energy of being at a race over being apart of a virtual, but a virtual is a great way to make training miles count for a little more.
Instead of race shirts, we received race skirts. A very cool change. Monster with the photobomb again.

Highpoint of the month: Moving, or I guess being done with moving. I've really enjoyed settling into our new spot. Oh, and I had a lot of fun experimenting with yoga this month.

Not so highpoint of the month: Moving. Try as I might, it didn't get in the miles I hoped. Still, not the worst issue ever to have. Loving the new neighborhood and enjoying exploring on foot!

New item of the month: My first virtual race, the Skirt Sports 13er.

What I am looking forward to in July: July has unofficially been titled "The Month of Racing". After very little racing this spring, I'm making up for it in a big way in July. Without meaning to, I've set up for back to back racing days, weekends, and a relay. I was even smart enough to double up the relay with a visit to the homeland. Now just to survive it all. Oh, and I get to meet my enormously large nephew this month. Rumor has it at his 2 month check up they had to extend the axis on the growth chart because he is already the size of a healthy 5month old (15lbs and 26 inches). I've specifically been doing extra upper body weights just for him.

Other odds and ends:

  • Applications are open for the 26.2 with DONNA Ambassador Team. You can bet I will be applying and hope that many of you will too! It's a great event for an amazing cause, and how awesome is the new slogan for this year's race?!
  • Susie from the Suzlyfe had a post this month about little things that make us happy/smile (ex having exact change, a good meal, etc). A day or two after reading and commenting on it, I remembered a recent item that makes me smile. Every time I let the monster into the backyard, I make her sit and wait before she gets the ok, but instead of saying 'ok', I've taken to yelling 'release the hound' and then giggling as I watch her spastically frolic out into the yard. It is the little things. And yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks.
  • A fun piece in the Atlanta Journal Constitution this month featuring fellow Yeti trail runner, Ben Grey and the Great Southern Endurance Run. I love the concept of this race though I'm not sure it's ever going to be on my to-do list. 100 miles on pavement is serious.
How was your month? What was the highlight?

14 comments:

  1. You got in way more miles than I did in June and I didn't move so I think you rocked it! I saw the beer label for the Snakebite finishers with the unicorns on it, so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That label is awesome. Jason has the best ideas. Wait to you see his upcoming ads for trail running!

      Delete
  2. Great mileage for the month :) A skirt is some col swag for a virtual. Hmmm, high point, it's been a tough month, maybe seeing Jurassic World LOL
    lowpoint...running in general just tough. Looking forward to the results of the bone density test, fingers crossed I will feel more confident about my health after the test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It was a nice change from a shirt and it's really comfortable. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Does the Donna Ambassador team have any way to help cover expenses? I would love to run, but I am so broke and hotels look expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because all the proceeds from the race go to charity, there isn't a budget for that. In previous years ambassadors have split rooms and car pooled to events to help cut costs.

      Delete
  4. I still maintain that flipping your underwear up from the ground on the first try is a major smile making moment :D And way to kill it, tiger, with the weather that you all have been having. It finally felt hot this pat weekend and still it cooled off in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a tough one this week and it doesn't look any better for my trail race this weekend. I've been negotiating with the race director for a slip n' slide at the finish.

      Delete
  5. I basically scrapped all my runs when we moved, so 100+ miles sounds like an awesome month! That relay sounds like a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving is such a pain! Thank heavens we are both done! :)

      Delete
  6. Brilliant idea with "Release The Hound"... I think I'm going to have to steal that one from you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have at it! It brings me smiles during a some what mundane task. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm with you on virtual runs, they are pretty cool but totally prefer the race vibe at an actual race event. "Release the Hound" ...I love it, I'm stealing that and starting to work with Buster tonight lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...