Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Snakebite 50k Training Week 10


Monday: And for this week's Monday Motivation, none other than ultramarathoner, world record holder, chef, and tough as nails, Scott Jurek summitting Katahdin on Sunday.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: We had a death in the family recently. My beloved garmin 305 finally passed away  (it's been trying to for months). I was pretty heartbroken to put it nicely, but I still think it might be able to be refurbished. Anyway, I stopped by REI to begin the process of replacement, not necessarily purchase, only to find they had put the Forerunner 910 on clearence. To make it even more tempting, it was the last one in stock. Needless to say, I purchased it and went running with it that night. I love it!
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6.2 miles (9:11/mile)
Welcome to the family little buddy.
Wednesday: First runcommute home to the new location, and I started off by making a new friend! While it's not uncommon to see snakes in Georgia especially on trail runs, it was pretty shocking to see this fellow a foot or two off the side walk in a neighborhood only a block from Emory University. It's a pretty trafficky area at times and I am certain I'm not the only runner who jumped several feet in the air after seeing him that night. Other than that, it was a hot run and I ate way too much lunch.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 6.1 miles
Snake and the city: A Copperhead!
Thursday: The heat training and miles from Troop Trot finally caught up with me and I was just tired. I took a bonus rest day, but did foam roll and stretch.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: Rest
Jekyll Brewery Big Creek Kolsch
Friday: Rest day as planned. The weather wasn't too horrible, so they Jayhawk and I enjoyed a nice cool, local brew on a shady patio. Also, inspired by last week's chips article, we had a mini chip tasting. My reviews are as follows: The Wasabi Ginger chips nailed it and I really like them. I've had dill pickle chips before, but the thick bold really add something extra. Loved them as well. I was slightly disappointed by the cheddar beer chips. While they had great potato flavor, I was kind of expecting them to taste like Wisconsin in a bag and they did not. Disappointing.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest
Saturday: Originally I planned to get up early to meet a group at the Decatur 4 miler. The Atlanta Track Club has a series of free races (no shirt, no frills) for members, so I initially signed up with the idea of making it part of my longrun (I live within running distance to the start of this one). When the alarm went off, I just was too tired. I decided to skip it (making this the only weekend in July I won't pin a bib on), catch up on some rest, and then get in a nice toasty run with the Jayhawk later in the day.
Planned: 12 miles  Actual: 6 miles (11:08/mile)
Post run stretching buddy/yoga mat hog.
Sunday: More heat training. While my mileage was down this week as a bit of recovery, my heat training was in full force. I did both of my weekend runs around 5pm to maximize the sweatfest.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 6 miles (9:08/mile)

On this week's list of things I wish I'd invented, I bring you Brewery Yoga. Yes folks, you plop your mat down on the brewery floor, get your asanas on, and then enjoy a cold pint. Currently emailing local breweries.....

How was your week? Everyone surviving summer?

17 comments:

  1. Ahhh I would've screamed bloody murder and started crying if I saw a copperhead on my run. How did you get that close to take a picture?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell the picture is a bit blurry because I was shaking. If it had moved at all, you probably would have heard me scream in NC.

      Delete
  2. Whoa, snake! It occurred to me the other day as I was planning my cross country road trip that a lot of the national park running I'm gong to be doing in August is going to be snake territory. I've never seen one in the wild before! I'm a little scared of rattle snakes but mostly I think snakes are really cool. (Also that Garmin is really cool.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not cool. In the north, anything that is going to kill us is big and probably give a little warning. These bastards can bite you before you even see them hiding in the bushes. That probably wasn't my best pep talk.

      Delete
  3. Yeah we have the poisonous kind around here, I've almost stepped on them a few times. Solid week, keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Becareful out there!

      Delete
  4. There is a yoga and beer challenge on IG. my friend @jessieloca is doing it and you must check it out.
    And I would need a shot and then a beer to get over the snake issue. SERIOUSLY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best tip ever.

      I definitely consumed beverages when I got home.

      Delete
  5. Such a cute dog! Whoa, watch out for those snakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She is a handful in her old age.

      Delete
  6. Such a cute dog! Whoa, watch out for those snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit I have killed snakes when I see them by my house, well actually I called the neighbor to do it lol is that awful? Ewwww
    I can not believe you ran at 5 in the evening, that is a tough time! Still a lot of sun. The heat is draining, I guess it requires beer and rest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My runcommute home usually starts between 4:30 and 5. It's some good heat training if nothing else.

      Delete
  8. Glad you found a new Garmin for a good deal, and even happier you avoided that Copperhead - yikes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost needed clean shorts to be honest.

      Delete
  9. I really admire how you're able to change up your training plan when you need to! It finally got into the 90s here, and I felt like I was melting just sitting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hot. Hope you are surviving.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...