Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Snakebite 50k Training Week #8

Where has the time gone?! Halfway there already. Yikes.

This week had more flip-flopping of workouts, but for good reason. In addition to Saturday's big parade race, I added a Friday race earlier in June. Two races, same course, 12 hours apart. So I moved Tuesday's workout to Friday, Friday's rest day to Thursday, and Thursday's workout to Tuesday. Everyone follow that? I knew you would, you're a smart group. On to the recap...

Monday: No ill effects after Sunday's long run. I made sure to stretch and get in some light living room yoga as well.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: I ran and it was good.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 5 miles (9:03/mile)

Wednesday: As my training has increased, I've tried to be more vigilant about my recovery. I came across this article on active recovery from Outside this week, and it was the pep talk I needed to get more serious about it. I've been getting better about doing many of the tips they discuss (I even foam rolled and did light yoga before work this morning), but I really need to focus on consistency now!
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 8 miles (8:52/mile)
Rocked my DONNA shirt in honor of Ambassador applications opening up!
Thursday: Headed down after work to get our expo on. After a little confusion when we wondered into a huge convention taking over most of the building (AA International's 80th birthday), we sucessfully obtained bibs! I'm not a huge expo person, but I'm always game for a silly photo or two.
Planned: 5 miles  Actual: Rest
Of course I made the Jayhawk take all the silly photos (against his will).
Friday: In early June I saw the announcement for this year's Peachtree Road Rage, and signed up as fast as my little fingers could type. I had wanted to do the inaugural race in 2014, but work got in my way (as always). Taking place the day before that big ol' one you might have heard of, the Peachtree Road Rage is limited to 49 participants and celebrates running through the city in motion because "why not race and rage Atlanta as it is, warts and all". I will write a separate full recap in order to fully capture it's glory.
Planned: Rest  Actual: 6.2 miles (8:13/mile)
Saturday: I followed up the Rage with The Race a mere 12 hours later. It was a rather rainy year at good old PTRR, but it was festive as ever. As always, I ran with the Jayhawk and helped pace him to his goal time. He rocked it! A full recap to follow! We spent the rest of the day at a friend's Birthday/4th celebration including a hardcore croquet tournament.
Planned: 6.2 miles  Actual: 6.2 miles (9:28/mile)
Soaked, standing in a swamp, but still smiling. And the Jayhawk totally cropped out my awesome socks.
Sunday: When I built my training plan, I knew this was one of the runs that was likely to not happen as planned. As fun as PTRR is, it's also a logistical nightmare getting everyone to the start and finish. It usually requires an early depature from the house, lots of standing at the startline, and an extensive walk back to the train because it's point to point. We just walked the 2 miles back to the car. Anyways, I've got big trail mileage on the books next weekend, so a somewhat smaller mileage weekend wasn't the worst idea that I've had. I ran without a garmin to try and keep the pace light.
Planned: 16 miles  Actual: 5.25 miles (9:31/mile)
Just keeping the peach theme going.
How was your week? Did you do anything special for the 4th?

14 comments:

  1. Great week!! It's nice you got both races in :) It's nice you got buddy along with the hubby and help him hit his goal.
    Your expo pictures are adorable :) That's good you are getting your foam rolling and stretching in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It was a lot of fun squeezing them both in.

      Delete
  2. Very cool to run both races! I'm trying to add in foam rolling more often, but I find it can stress me out to put something else on my plate. I think I need to combine it with watching TV or something to make it stick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! I've taken to only expecting 10 minutes of rolling and it really takes the pressure off the whole event. I also try to do it while I'm watching tv and multitask a bit.

      Delete
  3. Cannot wait to here about the Rage.
    Wish I had planned to bump into you at Peachtree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so should have! Next time we will plan ahead! Glad you enjoyed your visit.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good week! Can't wait to read your recaps, I've never even heard of the Road Rage. I would like to do the Peachtree sometime, maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Road Rage is pretty small and alternative, but it was a blast.

      Delete
  5. Sorry got lost in the first few sentences with all the workout swapping....

    4th was awesome, our remembrance run was a success and spent time with friends and family. Great times. Can't wait for the recaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect holiday!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of the Peachtree Road Rage event, look forward to learning more about it in your recap! Thanks for sharing the recovery article. I know I need to do a better job about stretching (just go straight to the foam roller).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Road Rage is a small event, so I don't think most people in town have even heard of it.

      Delete
  7. Kudos to the Jayhawk for being a good sport - I know the feeling of being asked to pose, knowing that it's going straight to the Internet. I tried to limit my wife's Facebook posts of my photos to one per day, but that didn't last very long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He knows I love those cutout things you put your head in, so I think he saw it coming. LOL, I take it easy on him and don't post about him very often. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...