Monday, July 13, 2015

Snakebite 50k Training Week #9

Week 9! Heavens this thing is just flying by. And how is it in less than 2 weeks into July, I've already pinned on a bib 3 times?! So much for pacing myself.

Monday: In a moment of Monday Motivation, I learned that all finishers of the Snakebite will be getting a custom beer(!) and here's a preview of the label. No word on what kind of magic will be filling the 22ozer, but I fully trust Jason to lead us right.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest

Tuesday: In a moment of Tuesday Motivation (it's a real thing), I saw this video of a snake biting it's own body after it's head was cutoff. Speed work has officially been added into my Snakebite 50k training plan.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6 miles (9:09/mile)
She was so excited, she was blurry.
Wednesday: Started off the day with a 1 mile dog-jog with her highness, and ended it with 9 miles of heat training after work. To say it was a sweatfest is putting it mildly, but I completed it and am seeing improvements on my heat tolerance. And for fun, I figured out after I got home that I ran the whole thing with my shirt on inside-out. #Winning
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 1 mile dog-jog (9:30/mile); 9 mile heat training (9:10/mile)

Thursday: My legs felt a little sluggish during this run. Between the heat and increase in mileage this week, I wasn't surprised. This is one of my bigger weeks of this training cycle and I've been more tired and hungry from it. Overall, I still feel good. Nothing a solid taper won't cure next month.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 6 miles (9:11/mile)
Friday: Started the day with a Peach Slider doughnut from a local spot, Revolution Doughnuts, and ended it with a local craft beer. Pretty perfect day if I don't say so myself.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest
Saturday: On impulse a week or two ago, I signed up for the Troop Trot 39k again. My 3rd year hitting this course (the 1st year was for the 10k), and it was well worth the heat, mileage, and trail training. Topping out around 96 degrees during the race, heat training was in full effect. Complete recap to follow, but safe to say I hit my goal of finding some hot, bitchy miles.
Planned: 20 miles  Actual: 24.20 miles
Sunday: I jogged down to join one of my usual group runs for post run coffee. I didn't join their actual run because I wanted to make sure I kept it slow (and in all honesty I didn't want to set an alarm). Leg felt slow, but fine. Much better than previous years after Troop Trot.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 3.25 miles (9:58/mile)

In possibly the most educational article I read all week, Food and Wine put out a definitive list ranking all Kettle Potato chips. This is highly relevant to running, because my favorite thing after a hot race is chips (I ate an entire bag of salt & vinegar on the way home from Saturday's sweatfest). I agree with them that the krinkle cut is somewhat of a masterpiece and I've yet to try the pepperoncini ones. Would love to hear your thoughts.

How was your week? Do you run race purely for training?

14 comments:

  1. Well that 's a great way to get your long run in :) Love it!
    The snakebite folks knew you were coming, what better reward for Elisabeth than a custom beer lol
    Great week of training, glad to hear you are feeling more acclimated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Karen, the Snakebite crowd is my kind of group!

      Delete
  2. Holy crap, I cannot believe you ran 24+ miles in this heat. My longest runs have been 12/13 and after that I am just spent. You are such a badass.
    And also with a beer label like that I expect a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I really tried to focus on completing the mileage, and never really look at pace. It was a big challenge to manage hydration and salts in weather like that!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a good week! That beer looks like it's going to be awesome. Your doughnut photo reminds me of Sublime Doughnuts, which my hubby and I use dot go to relatively frequently when he lived in ATL. And now I want a doughnut. :) Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sublime too, Beth. I live closer to Revolution, so I end up there more often. Maybe I need a tour de donut post?!

      Delete
  4. The maple bacon Kettle Chips are amazing. Just saying. That is a glorious label--rainbows and unicorns? YES PLEASE. And that race sounds... terrible. To be honest. Like, i might rather punch myself in the face. But, yeah, I would say that you worked it at your heat training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on the label. I think he is even bringing extra labels so we can cherish their amazingness after the beer is gone. It was basically terrible in some ways. I wasn't looking forward to it at all, but it was probably one of the more important training days for the summer.

      Delete
  5. I wish all races gave out custom beer at the end! That's awesome. And the 39k actually sounds miserable to me. You're hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! Agreed. Custom beers over custom t-shirts!

      Delete
  6. Seriously I don't know how I finished Troop Trot. I ran a little over 9 yesterday and was spent for most of the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sure Love Her Eyebrows!!!! What A Sweetheart!! More Dog Photos Please

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...