Friday, August 28, 2015

Friday Five: Pre-Race thoughts and rambles

*Updated with photos*
For some reason the internet is being mean this morning and won't let me add photos, but if you use your imagination, I'm sure you could come up with some awesome photos for this post. I'll try again later.
1. Fuel: I've pulled together all my healthy fuels including some fan favorites (Barnana, Island Boost, and Picky Bars) as well as many salt options. I still need a trip to the Quik E Mart to get the not so healthy race day essentials (chip, more chips, and full strength coke). Basically, it's game on in terms of what I eat during the race. Whatever looks tasty and I can keep down, is what I will eat.
You know you are a public health nerd when you keep Oral Rehydration Salts at home.
2. Weather: I kind of thought I earned some good race karma after volunteering in a monsoon for 4 hours the other day, but apparently Mother Nature doesn't agree. While the temps look awesome for Sunday, the threat of t-storms is not as awesome. Dodging lightening while fighting snakes? I've got this.
Hilarious Mother Nature, hilarious. Note to self: pack body glide.
3. Motivation: This article by Jenn Shelton. Go ahead, read it. I'll wait. I seriously think she is my spirit animal. I somehow missed this one when it was first published in June, but it's hilarious. For those of you who don't know much about Jenn, she is the chick from Born to Run. She is a naturally talented running, tough as nails, and always involved in some sort of odd story. I'm hoping to channel my inner Jenn Shelton on Sunday (not the impressive drinking skills part), and grit my way through the race.
Last shake out run.
4. Toes: Ok, this may seem random, but I painted my toes as part of my pre-race prep. Who knows when I will be able to bend over and reach them again.  I would like to wear flip-flops during recovery, and no one, I mean no one, should be forced to look at feet after 30+ miles of trail running. The things I do for others.

Goodbye normal looking feet with 10 nails.
5. Tracking Snakebite: If you are interested in getting a glimpse of Snakebite this weekend, the organizers (Yeti Runners) will be using Periscope throughout the day to interview the winners and runners along the course. It should be highly amusing and I expect lots of colorful language. You've been warned. I'll try my best to share them afterward, but I am very new to periscope (I honestly only joined for this event). Find me at RunningEB on periscope


What are your plans for the weekend? Do you use Periscope?

12 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow! Lightning can't strike two consecutive Sunday mornings, can it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank. Lightening may not have struck twice, but the monsoon did!

      Delete
  2. Great article- thanks for sharing. Have a great race!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot wait to hear how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you did awesome! I hope the race went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't done the periscope thing yet, maybe i need to get on there! I can not wait to hear how things went :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Based on your above ATL picture, we may live a couple miles apart. Let me know if you ever want to meet up. Congrats on your 50K!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...