Monday, August 10, 2015

Snakebite Training Recap Week #12 +13

I'm still here and alive. The train went off the tracks a bit when I got an epic case of bronchitis. That's right, EB got EB. Since this didn't lead to a lot of fun running photos and no one wants to see photos of me sick in bed wearing the same PJs for days, I did a few more reenactments again this week to keep you entertained (they were popular during the week #11 recap in case you missed it).
I think they mean EB: Epic Bronchitis.
Monday: I felt great after the relay (recap still in process) and took advantage of Maine's lovely weather with another cool run.Why did I move away from this state again? I believe it's called January.
Planned: Rest  Actual: 5.25 miles
Sick in bed with lonely running shoes and a cranky Monster by my side. I promise she still has legs.
Tuesday-the following Saturday: 12 lovely days of wheezing, sneezing, tissues, and drugs. You know you are really sick when the doctor starts discussing prescriptions before they even examine you. Due to the severity of my breathing issues (I left there the proud owner of a new inhaler among other drugs), my time off from running was longer than I hoped, but I've been trying my best to be patient in recovery, but it's really stressful to be patient when you are less than a month out from your goal race.
But a few good things did happen during my bout of plague!
  • I got a killer deal on new running shoes. They were on sale, it was tax free weekend, and I had a coupon. Nothing makes a runner happier except maybe being able to go home and use said running shoes.
  • I got a new phone! It was weird to be off the grid for a week. Oddly enough the only thing I really missed was the camera. Don't worry. I'll keep adding in reenactments periodically to keep it interesting.
  • We celebrated huge holiday: our 10th anniversary. Through all the ups and downs, it's been an amazing decade and am looking forward to our next 10 years together. We haven't aged or matured since day one.
Oh, did you think I was talking about the Jayhawk?
Day 1 and 10 years later to the day with my favorite sassy bitch.
Sunday: Finally ventured out for my first run. It wasn't pretty, but it was running and I got to wear my new shoes. My congestion was more of a problem than I expected as I was audibly wheezing for most of it (the heat and humidity probably didn't help this). My legs felt ok, but it was hard to get going without oxygen. Now to just get my lungs back at it for Snakebite in 3 weeks! Yikes. This could be harder than I hoped. Expect some schedule tweaking in the next few weeks.
Planned: 8 miles  Actual: 3.1 miles (8:58/mile)
 
With less than a month until race day, I've started stocking up on race day essentials (which I hopefully won't eat all of them prior to race day). If you are looking for lots of great fueling options all in one place, I highly recommend checking out The Feed. Follow this link for a $5 credit (Referral link).

How was your week? Have you ever battled the demon that is bronchitis?

14 comments:

  1. I know all the time off is probably making you crazy, but you are strong, you will be ready for race day, you can do this :)
    I have battled that ailment and it is hard, your chest and the weak wheezy feeling is the worst.
    Aww Mia :) so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen. It's a bit nerve wracking to not run at all so close to the race. Slowly but surely improving.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you were so sick for so long! I have battled some nasty sinus infections before, so I know exactly what it's like to have all that gunk inside you for what feels like forever. I hope the rest works in your favor and you come back to running even stronger than before your layoff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I went for my second run yesterday and it was a lot less wheezy.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, I'm so sorry you've been sick! That's such a bummer! Glad you're on the mend, though. Loved your drawing of you in bed. That might just be one of the best things I'll see all week. :) Sending healing thoughts your way! And happy anniversary! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! Slowly but surely getting there. It's all about getting clear lungs now.

      Delete
  4. YAS more reenactments. You know I love it. I do not love the whole bronchitis thing. Having just had that laryngitis bout, none of that and ain't nobody got the time. So kick that ish to the curb. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd have fun with that. No one is loving the bronchitits thing. Breathing with a whole lot less wheezing this week. I may survive.

      Delete
  5. Love that you included your pup anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you were under the weather. Got to admit, I'm a big fan of the reenactment pictures lol. You will have time to get your fitness back, many months of training aren't lost due to a couple weeks. Trust the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. The timing is not optimal, but I'll find a way to make it work. This race could be a good mental challenge!

      Delete
  7. Oh no! I've never had Bronchitis but it does not sound fun. I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope your breathing while running is getting even easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney. It's the first time I've ever had it and it's been a lot more challenging than I expected. I miss oxygen.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...