Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Snakebite Training Recap Week #14

Spoiler alert: this isn't going to be the most exciting training recap you've ever read. I know, I'm really enticing you to read on with an opener like that, but I promise it's worth it (i.e. lots of pictures). Sure, there might not be any mystery or intrigue, but there were miles and they were more plentiful than last week. There is also beer and it was also more plentiful than last week. There is the Monster for the Monster super fans out there and yoga for the yogis, but best of all, there is a runner who is vastly improving from her epic bronchitis. It may have only taken 18 days but I am (almost) drug free and breathing (mildly) normally. Now to figure out how to run a 50k in less than 14 days (yikes). Serenity now. Serenity now.
All smiles before the start of the Big Ol' Group Run.
Wednesday: The Big Ol' Group Run! Yet another run that I had been excited about for several months, the Big Ol' Group Run was started as a way to get running groups from across the city together for a run, some beer, and mingling. For $5 you get a tie bib for the 3 or 6 mile run, one beer, and entry into what seemed liked an endless raffle of running prizes. I missed out on the inaugural run last year when it sold out before I could registered and this year I was determined to be apart of it. The run is held at Monday Night Brewing, a local brewery whose libations I thorough enjoy (and whose theme is tie related). I teamed up with Amy who you may remember from previous running adventures and we tackled the 3.25 miles through a side of the city I rarely run in. She was incredibly tolerant of my constant coughing during the first couple of miles (running has actually help me clear my lungs) and we kept the pace light so I could breath. I also finally ran into Frank (from Running for the second half of my life) while neither one of us was running and we could actually say hello! Overall, a great, low-key event to help me get back in the swing of things.
Actual: 3.25 miles
The entire group of over 400 runners.
The brewery slogan.
Saturday: Joined up with one of my usual weekend group for 8 miles (bonus half mile running to the start of the route just around the corner). It was a nice hilly route and my longest run in weeks! One scary moment did happen for a few members of our group as they were very nearly hit by a drunk driver while crossing an intersection (yes, at 7am on a Saturday morning). The last member of their group was just coming through the intersection on the crosswalk when an SUV came up behind him, cut through the crosswalk, and hit the building in front of him (just to the right of where the crosswalk hit the curb). Everyone was ok (the building not so much) and they stayed around to call/wait for the police and make sure the driver was ok. I found the whole thing rather unsettling as I run this area frequently and I don't find it unsafe. I am constantly vigilant on my runs, but tracking a car from behind you is difficult. Just a friendly remind to stay safe out there and remember crazy things can happen when you least expect it.
I needed a little yoga after that one. Day 1 of the #RunnersloveyogaLegs challenge: Chair pose.
The Jayhawk and I celebrated my return to the living with a visit to a very local brewery, Three Taverns. I've mentioned several of their beers before (the White Hops is a household favorite) and the brewery didn't disappoint. If you like Belgian style beers, I highly recommend it. We were even lucky enough to get a picnic table partially in the shade (it's the little things in the GA summer).
Actual: 8.5 miles
Sunday: No soreness or issues to report after Saturday's run, but took the day off to respect the process of easing back into it. The temps were really moderate for August, so I hung out with the Monster in the yard, which means I got in an impromptu upper body workout throwing sticks, playing tug-o-war, and otherwise keeping the old lady amused. Don't let that white hair fool you, her energy is endless and she very nearly caught a squirrel while we were out there. I really should ask her for speed work tips.
Interesting article this week about what happens to your body during a 100 mile effort. I've never run a hundred miler, though in all honesty, the idea has crossed my mind, and it's interesting to think of all the challenges it creates for your body.

How was your week? Do you like joining in on group runs?

9 comments:

  1. Holy crap that is epic bronchitis. Just get them to give you steroids so you can be superhuman?
    But that said, I'm glad you are respecting your body and easing back in. The worst thing to do would be to overdo it and then be unable to do anything period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so cool. Could I be the first mid-packer to be DQ'd for doping?

      Delete
  2. Glad you're healing up and feeling better! That group run sounds like it was a lot of fun! And now I want to head back to Atlanta to hit up the great breweries there. :) Hope your lungs continue to clear up and get healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. The group run was great and an awesome idea by whoever came up with it (I wish it was me).

      Delete
  3. Glad you are back! a group easy pace was a great way to ease back into things.
    I always love Mia pics, and tug of war sounds like cross training :)
    You got this Snakebite! Your strength has always impressed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of encouragement Karen! It's weird to take so much time off so close to race day.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you are finally getting over it! I remember when I had a terrible cold last year, I spent lots of runs coughing until it finally went away. Your training before you got sick, I'm sure you will do great at the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. I think it's been more of a challenge mentally. I feel so out of practice not running for two weeks.

      Delete
  5. You're a determined sort, E!! Not the kind to wilt at the prospect of a 50k. I know you will be fully recovered and ready to go.
    Sending good wishes for full lung recovery. If your lungs can do it, I know your legs will!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...