Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Snakebite Training Recap Week #15

First off, huge thank you to everyone for the encouraging words on last week's post. I felt really strong at the end of July and taking almost two weeks off shook my confidence a bit. I'm trying to focus on all the hard work and miles pre-bronchitis to keep myself mentally pumped up.  I'm also playing Eye of the Tiger on repeat (complete with shadow boxing). Whatever it takes, right?

First week back at consistent running. I am no longer on cold medicine, prescription strength cough syrup, antibiotics, or any of that jazz. I am still using the inhaler 'as needed' which turns out is when I am running, but that said, I'm even feeling a lot better on the run now too! There is hope, folks!
I joined another yoga challenge. Someday I'll know what I am doing.
Monday: A busy day, so busy infact I forgot to take my inhaler before heading to the gym (obviously I'm still an inhaler rookie). Turns out even though I am feeling much better, my inhaler is still pretty essential for a comfortable running experience (lots of coughing and wheezing post run), but on a positive note. I ran and it made me happy.
Planned: Rest  Actual: 4.25 miles (9:14/mile)

Tuesday: Rested and helped a friend more stuff. I guess that's actually a strength workout then.
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: Rest

Wednesday: I got more and more comfortable as this run went on. It may be because I didn't wait the full 30 minutes after taking my inhaler to start running, but either way, I was starting to get back in the grove.
Planned: 6 miles  Actual: 4.25 miles (9:12/mile)
We had a crazy amount of rain in the ATL this week, but every once in a while it's worth it.
Thursday: Short on time, so just a few miles to stretch out the legs.
Planned: 4 miles   Actual: 3.25 (9:13/mile)

Friday: Yay! Is it just me, or do the weeks seem to be getting longer and longer?
Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Someone decided to eat all the kindling when we were using the firepit. Not naming names.
Saturday: Got a late start on this one, but I was still excited to be out. Maybe too excited. My legs are a little more ready than my lungs to push the pace, and I found myself desperately trying to slow things down about 2 miles in. I tried a new fuel, Untapped Maple, and the flavor is fabulous. However it is a little thicker (not gu thick) than my usual fuel, and I spent the next 3 miles trying not to throw up. I am really sensitive to the consistency of fuel when running, and though I loved the taste on this one, it's not going to work for me while running (maybe biking though). Sad face because I LOVE maple. It ended up being a harder workout than I hoped, but I keep trying to reassure myself that I won't be going nearly as fast on the trails next weekend.
Planned: 10 miles  Actual: 9.25 miles (8:58/mile)
I may just continue to eat it for fun.
Sunday: Joined Amy at the Team Challenge (for Crohns and Colitis) water stop at the Hotlanta Half Marathon. She is a Team Challenge alum and they were looking for a few extra hands, so I was happy to join them. The stop was at mile 12 and it was great to be able to pump people up as they headed into their last mile. Unfortunately, it started monsooning (not exaggerating) shortly after the starting gun, leading to soaked runners and volunteers. Anyways, the Team Challenge crowd is a great group and huge props to all the runners who powered through (what we were calling) the longest swim of their lives!
Planned: 4 miles  Actual: Volunteering
It was far too rainy to take a picture, but here is an accurate reenactment.
How was your week? Do you experiment with new fuels?

15 comments:

  1. I saw on Frank's blog that you'd volunteered for the Hotlanta rainfest! Thanks for volunteering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Always fun to do during taper. Were you running as well?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CLAP IT UP FOR TEAM CHALLENGE.
    Thank you so much for volunteering. I love my TC people, and Joe is the Shizzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your strength is returning :) You had a good week!
    Sad, the syrup didn't work. I can't do GU, it messes with me. I can do a bite of a Cliff bar and feel good, but I have very little experience trying to fuel still.
    Rainbows are always a happy sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Gu just doesn't work for me either. It's the consistency.

      Delete
  5. Awesome lunge, girl! Kudos to you for volunteering in crummy weather--I think a lot of people would have bailed. I'm sure it's nice for the races to have volunteers who are hardcore runners like you, because you know how important those aid stations are. And that maple syrup "gel" sounds ah-MAY-zing! I love maple syrup so I'm definitely gonna have to keep an eye out for that! Glad you're feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beth! I've been working on it! I can't imagine bailing after committing to help. Plus, what's a little rain? :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks EB for braving the monsoon at the final water stop at Georgia Tech! You're right about the swimming part, and mathematically accurate in your depiction of the slope of some of those hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Frank! Great job in the race. You looked nice and strong coming through mile 12! Great work.

      Delete
  7. I always stick to the same fuel, I am a bit scared to switch it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one had me curious enough to try it. At least I was smart enough to do it on a training run this time.

      Delete
  8. I love maple-flavored things, but real maple syrup tends to give me horrible stomach problems! That fire pit looks awesome! Our neighbors have a small, mobile one, and I'm really tempted to get one. They seem so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love maple too, that's why I couldn't resist trying it. The previous people left the firepit when they moved out. It's a lot of fun!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...