Tuesday, September 1, 2015

September Strength


One of the great things about 30 day months is that they seem so primed for a change. Maybe it’s the round number of days or slightly shorter duration (that 1 extra day can be so daunting!), but I like the evenness and clean cut-ness of 30, so months with 30 days always inspire me to challenge myself.

As luck would have it, September is one of these such months and I find myself in between training plans. Inevitably training without a plan leads to a complete lack of direction in my workout routine, and disorganization in my fitness routine tends to lead to disorganization in my life in general. To combat this chaos, for this 30 day period I’m choosing to focus on strength.
Guns out.  
From a fitness perspective this works out perfectly. I have just started recovery from Snakebite so my mileage will be low for the month and I’ve got no major training cycles on the horizon. I’m notoriously inconsistent about strength training, but with no other planned workouts to distract me, I’ve really got no excuses for skipping it. Throughout my summer 50k training cycle I noticed a few weaknesses in the kinetic chain and now’s the perfect time to address them before I tumble into the next training cycle. That goal of a 5k PR (yuck) is still looming before year’s end, and a strong kinetic chain (specific hips and core) is going to be essential in making it happen.

 And by strength training, I'm not just talking about 12oz curls. P.S. This is a personal favorite. 
But this September strength extends beyond the physical. As with many of you, my fitness can often be a parallel to what’s going on in my life. When I feel physically strong and disciplined, I tend to feel grounded, confident, and composed (well, less spazzy) in all aspects of life. This September, I’ve got a lot of balls up in the air so to speak. A lot on my plate. Some of it is fantastically fun and exciting, some of it is a healthy dose of reality, but all of it is part of life (this is by no means a complaint!). Feeling strong and being strong allows me to face these challenges, put on my big girl pants, and make the most of it.

This from the girl who walked sideways down the stairs this morning because she is a bit sore from her 50k a few days ago. I've got 30 days to make it happen, right?
How do you like to challenge yourself? Do you see parallels between your fitness and your life?

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree - my fitness and mental state are really intertwined. Before I started running, I usually noticed I needed to address internal issues based on my tidiness. If I started leaving messes around, it reflected how I felt (especially in dorms, when there was no escaping it!). Good luck with the strength training - I know adding it in regularly has helped a huge amount in keeping me healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Running seems to keep me organized and timely too.

      Delete
  2. I love that plan!! I need to do this myself. As soon as I started upping the mileage my strength starts taking a dip and I skip working legs. It is so hard to fit it all in. I hope you have a great month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a good strength trainer Karen! I'm always amazed by your consistency!

      Delete
  3. So hear you. On all of it. I hope that you are bronchitis free and happy as can beeeeee (Oberon is a clutch choice, btw). I want to come drink beers on a porch with you for our strength training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12oz curls are the best form of strength work.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...