Wednesday, December 9, 2015

26.2 with DONNA Training Weeks 7+8

Ok, I am little behind on my week recaps, but here is a double edition for you. As an added bonus, lots of bizarre and unusual moments again. What is with me this year?

Week 7

Monday: Ug, Mondays. Nothing like walking your she-beast at 6 in the morning only to have her leash break and you chase her around in your PJs whisper-yelling like the crazy neighborhood nut so you don't wake everyone up but also spastically running around so the all black hound doesn't get hit by a car. I caught her when she stopped to tinkle. Homegirl still has wheels.
Planned: Easy 4 Actual:  4 miles (9:23/mile)
Not the most useful leash. It was over 10 years old, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
Tuesday: First speed workout. Since I don't have a recent 5k time to use, I guesstimated from recent short runs and other times. Overall it felt good throughout the workout: challenging, but doable. It was also Giving Tuesday and I challenged the Jayhawk to run or donate and he decided to run the half this year at DONNA! So excited to have him join in!
Planned: 8x600  Actual: 5.5 miles total with 8x600 @7:30/mile




Wednesday: Still getting used to the whole Wednesday rest day thing, but was productive by starting my TGiving cooking. In addition to the whole Turkey/Gravy/Cornbread thing, we made this Winter Vegetable Hominy Hash en Croute from Thug Kitchen. If you aren't familiar with Thug Kitchen, you're welcome (but beware, they like to swear. A lot.). It was fabulous and I plan to make it again.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest


Thursday: Thanksgiving Day! I'm not much of a holiday person, but I do enjoy Thanksgiving. Something about eating and cooking all day makes me happy. Started off the day with 3 miles with the Jayhawk and added on an extra two by myself.
Planned: 5 Tempo  Actual: 5 miles easy (9:09/mile)

Hand Turkey paper chain. And one paw turkey for that sassy beast.
Friday: I woke up with some foot soreness, but I was hopeful that it would subside after work.  Unfortunately, it still felt tight so I took the day off to be safe.
Planned: Easy 4  Actual: Rest
Saturday: Feet still felt off. I've hard this kind of tweaky problem in the past after speed work and it seems to be back. I felt fine during my work on Tuesday, but my residual tightness/soreness makes me worry about how my stride might be changing during the workouts. I've been doing my speedwork on the treadmill because I run after work and don't have access to a track. I think this accounts for most of the issue. Definitely need to find a way to increase speed without feeling off.
Planned: Easy 6   Actual: Rest
Sunday: Feet felt a lot less achy, so I headed out for an easy run. A few days off seemed to do the trick.
Planned: Long 10  Actual: 6.25 (9:22/mile)

Week 8

Monday: I loved this picture from last year's finish line that 26.2 with DONNA posted on Instagram. I am so excited for the race this year!
Planned: 6 Easy  Actual: 5 miles (9:23/mile)
Tuesday: Instead of the planned speed work, I went with an equal length tempo run. After last week's soreness, I decided to give traditional speed work the week off but still wanted to not have an easy run.
Planned:   Actual: 5.5 miles (4 miles @8:33/mile)


Wednesday: Came home to a surprise! For the record, I screamed like a small girl as I was afraid it would give the Monster rabies because, in my panic, I assumed it had to be rabid if it was in the house. In reality, it came in Santa-style and fell down the chimney. I managed to chase it out of the house without major damage (it did break a few things and wiz on the couch). The Monster, who is more than an avid squirrel chaser to put it nicely, was still in her crate at the time and it's the only reason our house wasn't complete wrecked by this event. She is still pissed the enemy infiltrated her castle.
Planned: Rest  Actual: Rest




Thursday: Felt a little tired at the start but had no trouble completing it. Had this surprise when I left the gym.
Planned: 5 Tempo  Actual: 6.5 miles (5 miles @ 8:33/mile)
Friday: Easy is as easy does.
Planned: 5 Easy   Actual: 5 miles (9:23/mile)
Saturday: A little faster than planned, but that tends to happen if I do my easy runs alone or not on the treadmill. I have a habit of getting lost in my thoughts and not checking my pace on my garmin. Not overly worried that it happened, but need to make sure it doesn't become too much of a habit as I am trying hard to stick to my plan.
Planned: 6 Easy   Actual: 6 miles (9:01/mile)
Sunday: Hmm, once again about 20 second per mile ahead of schedule. While I am pretty happy with how strong I felt late in this run (solid negative splits between the first 5 miles (9:01 average) and the last 5), I need to do a better job of keeping my pace in check. I will say that my legs felt a bit sluggish at the beginning, so the whole 'running on tired legs' thing is going very well. One fun thing did happen along my run: I ran through an active movie set! I was running along the same route from Saturday when I noticed the set (several neighborhood homes) were packed with folks cameras, etc. At first I wasn't sure if they would let me through, but I ran quietly by as they called "action," although the cameras were facing into one of the homes so not chance of me being in the background. After a little googling later, I learned it's A Meyers Christmas, coming to a screen near you next fall.  Celebrated the miles by going on a wine tasting date with the Jayhawk in the mountains. It was the perfect day for it: cool, but nice in the sun.
Planned: 10 Long   Actual: 10 miles (8:51/mile)

How was your week(s)? Did you do anything special for Thanksgiving?

6 comments:

  1. Our dogs used to bring us "presents" into our lake house. We had a few birds let loose. We had a double height ceiling in the main room. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heavens. I'm glad this guy left before it got too crazy.

      Delete
  2. Your running is going great. Hopefully that foot niggle will not keep presenting itself. I use to do all my speed work on the treadmill, however after the injury the TM seemed to aggravate it. SO I took to bus loop speed work. We don't have street lights here, but once i get to the school it has lights so I can use it early morning or night...the loop is .25 and I just go around and around lol just a thought...
    Wine tasting looks lovely! Glad the Monster didn't get to far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little rest definitely helped clear things up and hopefully it stays that way! There must be something about striding on the treadmill that causes the trouble. I don't have issues with the same speed outside.

      Delete
  3. That is crazy about the squirrel! I would've freaked out about the rabies too. I love the turkey paw...it reminds me of how I had to have a tiny stocking for my teddy bear at Christmas when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was insane! I am so happy the Monster was in her crate otherwise the house would have been complete destroyed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...