Friday, March 18, 2016

Friday 5: Springtime Favorites

Today I'm linking up to share my springtime favorites (mostly running related). With the clocks change and warmer weather, spring has definitely sprung in Atlanta. Thanks to Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney for hosting the Friday 5 link up!

1. Being able to run outside again after work, walk the dog, and still have time to chase squirrels all before the sun goes down. During the 'winter' months (I rarely refer to Atlanta weather as real winter), I ran most of my weekday runs indoors. That's right, 11 mile tempo run? On the treadmill. 9 miles of speed work? On the treadmill. It's not that I am afraid of the dark (snakes, yes; dark , no), but I don't trust the Atlanta drivers and I don't want to be hit by a car. Additionally, the Atlanta sidewalks are notoriously shabby (odd for a city that is a world leader in public health) and twisting an ankle would have really been a bummer during marathon training.
My favorite squirrel chaser. I think this is her year.

2. Stretching in the sun. It's not so hot yet that I feel the need to scurry inside after a run and sprawl out on cold tile floors to reduce my body temperature (another few weeks until that fun). With the gentle spring breeze (see numero tres) and the cool nights, it's still pleasant enough to survive outdoors after a run. I've taken to stretching in the yard while the Monster patrols for invaders. The neighbors may think I'm bonkers as I flail about, but it's time they knew the truth.
3. That spring breeze. Really, is there anything more pleasant?

4. The Garden. Great upper body workout. Ok, I'm no Martha Stewart and last year's garden produced only a meager crop after someone overwatered it while I was in Maine (hint: it wasn't the Monster), but I do try. Not only is it a great way to get outside, but it's a great workout. All that raking, digging, and hoeing (snort) is great for the upper body and core. We've had a family talk about not overloving the garden, and I am hopeful for a bountiful harvest.

5. All the flowers. Allergies be damned, it makes for some beautiful scenery on my runs.
Has Spring arrived at your house? What are you favorite aspects of springtime?

9 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of you right now. We all know that Spring in Atlanta is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Kind of like Maine in the summer.

      Delete
  2. Mia is so pretty. I am sure she enjoys the stretching company and increase in walks :)
    I have heard Atlanta driving is tough lol I love seeing all the pretty blooms right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is spoiled and she loves every minute of it.

      Delete
  3. I love all things about spring running. Here in Iowa we get REAL winter, so I'd probably be able to run outside during your whole "winter" if I lived there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold is never really an issue here in the winter in terms of running. Ice is sometimes, but that is because the city doesn't really own any snowplows/salt trucks!

      Delete
  4. With the weather change I've been getting out more but unfortunately I end up leaving my dog home. I feel bad cus I know she probably has cabin fever too (but with all her sniffing and lolly gagging she slows me down..haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand the lolly gagging! How can one creature pee that much?!

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy all the flowers! I forgot how nice it is to stretch in the sun #thesmallstuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...