Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Training Recap: 6/20-6/26

Monday: The first day of summer! I both get excited for this day and dread it. I'm excited because summer means longer days and a slightly more carefree life, but I dread the heat. Oh the heat. Treated myself to a nice run after work.
Actual: 4 miles

Alright summer, let's do this.
Tuesday: Breaking out the double workouts in honor of International Yoga Day, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. Actually, I really wanted to attend King of Pops free yoga in the park because I am deeply committed to the practice of yoga (and in all honesty, I love their popsicles), but I also wanted to get in a run, so I did both. This was the first time I've done yoga in public with other people watching, so I was a bit nervous going in. Would I be the only person that couldn't touch their toes? What if they refer to all the poses by name? I only know like 3 poses by their name! and more importantly, How long would the line be for popsicles and what if they run out of the flavor I want? Overall, it went well. As a yoga newbie, I'm at a point where any practice is good for me and the class helped me try a few poses that I hadn't done before and get the feel of the rhythm of sequences. There were several hundred people there and at times it was a bit hard to hear the yogi through the bullhorn (I was posing in the back), but I don't really have too many complaints about something that was free and helped me get outside my comfort zone. If you are an advanced yogi, it might not be the class for you as it's designed for all levels and attention spans. So I survived, didn't pull anything, and didn't even feel like I was lagging behind on skills. More importantly, I had the cucumber lime popsicle and brought home the peaches and cream for the Jayhawk.
Actual: 3.1 miles running, 1 hour yoga



Wednesday: Getting back in the swing of the odd Wednesday rest day.
Actual: Rest! With some light recovery yoga
Yoga and kibble time don't mix.

Thursday: It felt like a long day, but I'm pretty sure it was the same length as all the others. Knocked out a run on the treadmill followed by life discussions with the Monster.
Actual: 4 miles
Friday: I like Fridays in the gym because there are no classes in the big exercise room and I can have it all to myself to stretch post run without flailing about in the main gym while everyone watches. When we got home from work, we witnessed a Hawk pick off a bird in our backyard, kill it, and remove all of it's feathers before flying away with the body. It was awkward timing as we were about to fire up the grill for dinner. Note: we didn't have chicken.
Actual: 3.5 miles

Saturday: I didn't set an alarm thinking I would be up by 7 or 7:30, but then I totally overslept and didn't get out the door until after 10:30. Unfortunately, it was also the first day the heat index was over 100 with solid humidity, so this wasn't my favorite run of all time. I did my best to keep the pace light, stay well hydrated, and kept it a little shorter than I originally planned. Even though I didn't get the mileage I hoped, I was still happy with the effort.
Actual: 4.15 miles

Sunday: Out the door more than two hours earlier and it made a huge difference. It was also noticeably breezy unlike the still humidity of the day before. Felt comfortable and happy to get in a nice hour long effort.
Actual: 6.6 miles
Yep, I do yoga poses in public now.
How was your week? Anything exciting happen?


6 comments:

  1. Nice week, all that heat training is going to pay off in the long run. Take it from me out here in az lol.

    Week was awesome, hit a huge run on Saturday morning that was the highlight of my week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard! Don't they always say fall PRs are made in the summer heat?

      Delete
  2. Ha! I did the same thing Saturday. I love sleep and it made for a difficult go of it, trying to run long long, and then I fell lol
    I love an empty gym!!
    Nice job last week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much hotter than I expected 2 hours later! Fridays in the gym are my new favorite thing because I get the exercise room all to myself. It's the little things sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Yes, getting out earlier makes such a huge difference in this crazy heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's back to setting alarms on the weekend. :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...