Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Silver Comet Half Training Week #11

Monday: My left calf and hamstring were feeling better after a day of rest, but I still had a lot of tightness in my foot after Saturday's misstep (I stepped down hard on uneven sidewalk mid-run). Decided one more day of rest wouldn't kill me and stuck to yoga for the day.
Planned: Easy 5 miles Actual: Light yoga
Tuesday: Was sad to miss the first strength workout of the training cycle as they were my favorites during last marathon training, but I wanted to give the foot/ankle a few easy miles before challenging it.
Planned: 6x1 mile  Actual: 5 miles (9:14/mile)
Loving the new lawn art in our area.
Wednesday: Felt a little residual tightness in my foot after Tuesday's run. Nothing that concerned me too much, but definitely something to keep an eye on before it progresses.
Planned: Rest Actual: Rest
Thursday: Shifted workouts around to have one more day of easy miles. While the foot/ankle are feeling much better, I did still have some tightness after Tuesday's workout and would like to see less before starting speed and pace workouts again.
Planned: 5 miles Tempo  Actual: 5 miles (9:14/mile)
Thanks for reminding me I need a shower, Monster. Real subtle.
Friday: Decided to give a pace work a try. My foot/ankle were feeling a lot better with only some stiffness while running. Didn't really effect me at all during the run and post run I didn't see any issues. A few rest days seem to have done the trick!
Planned: Easy 6 miles  Actual:7 miles (5@8:13/mile)
Matchy matchy for the second time in a week. Not sure what's up with that.
Saturday: Woke up feeling good and made up some easy miles. Still feeling a little tightness going uphill, but that make sense given how the injury came about.
Planned: Easy 5 miles  Actual: 6 miles (9:14/mile)
Sunday: A surprise family visit threw my day off a bit, but I managed to squeeze in a workout later that evening (in some impressive humidity). Ran (quite literally) into the Jayhawk at the end of my run and we finished the last 0.5 mile together.
Planned: 10 miles long run  Actual: 5.5 miles (9:11/mile)
Awesome new tiny library in our neighborhood.
All and all a little less mileage than I hoped for the week, but I am proud of myself for actually respecting my body and not just trying to run through the tightness I was feeling. It's never enjoyable to skip workouts, especially ones of importance, but I try to remind myself of my bigger goals.


How was your week? Do you ever take time off for tightness or soreness?

4 comments:

  1. Your compression socks are so cute, I have a thing about dots!
    You have some creative souls on your run route :) Is that a mailbox?? I love the metal art!
    It is good you took it easy. It is so hard to actually do it! I think you will be ready to roll race day.
    I can feel myself wanting to push a little more than I should at times. It comes in waves, sometimes, I will get on my bike and take a break when my feet need it and sometimes I just run anyway and hope it doesn't bit me LOL
    I have been very lazy about cross training the last few weeks when I probably should have stepped it up and stayed off my feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's tiny library where you can get a book, leave a book. Such a cute idea and it's in front of a 4th/5th grade school.

      Delete
  2. My foot/ankle is being weird, but after giving it time off with no difference/improvement, I'm just running. But I've definitely taken time off, and it has been worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It's totally injury dependent. Always nice when time off helps.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...