Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Update: Running, life, and Monster

Greetings! Yes, it has been a while. I have many things to update you all on, plans to reveal, and Monster photos to share (I know why you all come here).
Mia Monster was a witch for the 11th year in a row.
So let's start where we last left off. It was late September and I was in peak half marathon training but I was beginning to feel frequently tired and a bit run down. I down shifted my training to allow for more recovery time, but was also feeling tweaky as well. I began to worry that I was experiencing a little over training and perhaps flirting with injury, so I drastically slowed things down. As much as I wanted to run a good half marathon at Silver Comet (and teach it a lesson from the first time I ran it), my big running goal for the year is the full marathon at 26.2 with DONNA, so I put the breaks of half marathon training to ensure I would start marathon training in good health. Got to keep the eyes on the prize. And for added excitement, Hurricane Matthew hit my family's house in South Carolina, and I spent a lot of time driving back and forth to help them out with all the damage (everyone is ok, the house, not so much). So I replaced weekly long runs with weekly long drives.
Fall is the best.
I did still run the Silver Comet half marathon. I used it for a check in on my fitness and to see how my body felt after a long run. I was greatly helped out during the race by a nice cool morning. Coming off a month of light running, I would have paid dearly if it was a hot day. I will write up a recap on the race, but basically, I completed the race without much excitement (good or bad).
 In recovering from the race, I had a bit of an odd moment with one calf. While I wasn't feeling any sort of pain, I was unable to point my toes on one leg (other leg could point just fine). In thinking through things, I determined that the 'odd' step I took during a 10 miler in September that caused me to take a few days off at the time, probably did more damage than I realized. My best guess is that I hyperextended my soleus and have made sure to pay extra attention to my footfalls and running surfaces since then. This may mean my running will be reliant on the treadmill for a while to allow for a flat surface.
Shirts came in! Thanks to everyone who supported them.
I love seeing pictures of folks wearing them!
Since the half, I've run a 5k (ugh, yes, my least favorite of the distances, but when your friend is race director, you run and support them) and have eased myself back into regular training. So far so good. Right now I'm not making any goals for 26.2 with DONNA until I see how my body responds to added intensity. So the plan is, to keep building up slowly and safely as my body allows. Goal #1 is to be able to run the marathon. Once I know that it is likely, other goals will develop.
Recovery yoga was once again interrupted by a needy, napping hound.
So sorry again for the radio silence. It's hard to make a few easy runs per week and road trips to SC sound interesting. It's exciting to catch up on all of your races and training. I've read several first marathon recaps and they are always so inspiring!

How has your fall been? What is the highlight so far? Catch me up!

10 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear your family was impacted by the hurricane.
    That is good to keep the big picture in mind. I am glad to hear the half went okay. It is crazy how stuff sometimes doesn't show up right away or have some pain associated with, I have been there several times with "odd" moments. Hopefully taking it easy will enable you to be ready for the higher mileage that is coming :)
    I love my shirt!!
    Becoming a marathoner finally, that is it ...made me Fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. It's been a little stressful, but I've learned a whole lot about insurance!
      It had felt on and off tweaky, so I think it just wasn't fully healing. I've found a system that works for now to still get some miles in without stressing it. It will be a week to week process.
      CONGRATS!!! I hope you are still smiling.

      Delete
  2. Glad the family is ok. Also glad you're making smart choices on how your body is feeling. There will always be more races and running healthy is most important.

    My first ultra is in two weeks. I'm so excited. Training has been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Richard! You can always replace a house, but not people.

      I'm excited for you!! Glad that training is going well. Can't wait to hear about the race.

      Delete
  3. MONSTARRRRR (like in Space Jam :D) PS, multiple people said that they wanted more pictures of Ridley on my blog, lol. So people actually do come for pictures of our pups :D
    And that's my girl for resting up and prioritizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are completely overshadowed by the little ladies in our lives. Bitches. ;)

      My new mantra is patience. We'll see how well that goes.

      Delete
  4. Oh no I am so sorry to hear you all were impacted so much by Matthew. I have one leak, but that was it luckily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! I'm glad you didn't have any major damage. It's been a little stressful, but in the end, stuff is just stuff and it can be replaced.

      Delete
  5. Ran a 10K last weekend and finished in top 30 %. I hope it comes together for you for you marathon. Best wishes on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! Congrats on your 10k! Great work.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...