Wednesday, December 7, 2016

26.2 with DONNA Training: 11 Weeks to go

Ok, so it's time to jump back into marathon training. I'm using the same 18 week training plan that I used for 26.2 with DONNA last year (Hanson's for those superfans at home), but I've been adjusting it to make sure that I'm healthy. Just so you don't think I am charging into week #8 of training with no regard for the previous 7 weeks, I have been consistently running at least 4 times per week at easy pace for several weeks, basically mimicking a base building phase. On top of that, I even went to my first spin class and though I was a little confused by the whole levels of resistance thing, I got in a solid sweat and rode no hands. So that completes my crosstraining for this training cycle.


Oh and by the way, I have a half marathon this week. Moving on.


Monday: No worse for the wear after my first spin class over the weekend. I enjoyed it and am excited to give it another shot. After trying any new activity, I always expect some sort of response from my body as it adjusts. My quads felt a little sluggish, but no soreness.
Planned: 6 miles easy  Actual: 5 miles easy (9:14/mile)
Tuesday: Not ready for any speed work just yet, but I am getting bored with easy runs, a sure sign that my fitness is slowly starting to return. This one felt like a little more work but it was probably because the humidity was way up due to GA finally getting rain. We've been in a severe drought and the metro hasn't had any rain in over 40 days. On top of that, wild fires are raging in north GA and the air quality has been very poor. But I was glad to pour out a little extra sweat in exchange for some rain.
Planned: 6x800s   Actual: 5 miles (9:14/mile)
Wednesday: I read this great recap from America Ferrera about training for and racing her first triathlon. She shares a lot about her inner dialogue and mantras that helped her through out the process and this quote in particular stuck me. Worth a read.

Planned: Rest   Actual: Rest
Thursday: I decided to toss in a few miles at not easy pace to begin testing how my calf reacted. It was nice to break out of easy running!
Planned: 5 Tempo   Actual: 5 miles (3 miles @8:40/mile)
Friday: Ah, life. I had every intention of getting in this workout, but life got in the way. It happens.
Planned: 5 Easy  Actual: Rest
Saturday: A big and exciting day! For years I've wanted to take the RRCA Coaching Certification Course but logistics always seemed to get in way, mainly that it's rarely is offered in Atlanta. But low in behold, back in March I was able to get into the Chattanooga class and it was finally. I woke up early to get their and time figuring I would squeeze in a run after class, but after sitting for 12 hours and so much learning, I was tired.  I did manage a small hotel room workout, a combo of several of my cross training workouts (something is better than nothing).
Planned: 6 Easy   Actual: Strength activities
Sunday: Woke up early to squeeze in a run before another great day of training. Pro Tip: Hotel gyms are not busy at 6am on a Sunday for some reason so you can have the place to yourself!
Planned: 10 Long   Actual: 3.5 miles (9:14/mile)
How was your week? How do you squeeze in workouts on the road?

5 comments:

  1. Love that you did the RRCA coaching course! I had such a great time doing it, and I felt like it really helped solidify and recontextualize my running knowledge. Are you going to start coaching for real?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the course, but then again, sitting around talking about running all weekend is right up my alley. So much information! I would like to start coaching on a small scale, nothing as professional as you!

      Delete
  2. Are you running Galloway or Locomotive Half this weekend? Or another half? I'm running Galloway for the third year, trying to keep a streak going as one of the originals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither! I'm actually heading to SC to run Kiawah. Should be chilly! Awesome job on the streak! Have a good race!

      Delete
  3. I don't know about that base building but if your body feels good I say jump right in and go after it. Hell that's the way I'd do it lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...